Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, recently I used Salifert to test my tank's KH, and the result is between 13-14. After I googled the impact of high KH, I was afraid that it will kill my fish and LPS.

My tank has Torch Coral-one head, Platygyra sp-4cm, Rhodactis inchoata*2, Protopalythoa sp.*5head. Tank size:60cm*45cm*45cm. My sea salt: Aquaforest Reef Salt+

Sorry for my terrible English, I'm a hong kong saltwater lover.

My tank started from Jan 2023

IMG_5134.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13-14 dKh is pretty high. High dKh won't kill things itself. But a change from a lower dKh to a higher one (say, from 7 or 8 to 13 abruptly, like overnight) can irritate or kill coral. Long term, I would aim for 7-9 and try to keep it there. I would try to figure out a way to keep it stable before getting a clam. Clams, like most coral, won't like dKh jumping all over the place, and they're fairly sensitive animals.

Ensure you double check your dkH in case you made a testing error. If you followed the Aquaforest directions for salt your dKh should not be that high.
It should mix at 7-8 (if I am thinking of the right salt).
There is a very small chance you have a bad batch of salt. Mix a new batch and retest the alkalinity of that water.

What is your plan for dosing/keeping dKh stable? Keeping corals long term requires monitoring this parameter and ensuring it stays within a small range.

Your mushrooms will likely be OK as they are hardy but I would keep an eye on your torch coral.

Any change you make should be done slowly i.e. over a few days and not overnight. Stable numbers > "ideal" numbers.

P.s. your English is good - I'm sure a ton of people here can't speak Cantonese

Last edited:
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
kamkam1999

kamkam1999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your advice, after double checking the kh, it still showed near 13, but I have no idea of how to decrease my kh, since the AF reef salt+ already have 11.8 dkh.
13-14 dKh is pretty high. High dKh won't kill things itself. But a change from a lower dKh to a higher one (say, from 7 or 8 to 13 abruptly, like overnight) can irritate or kill coral. Long term, I would aim for 7-9 and try to keep it there. I would try to figure out a way to keep it stable before getting a clam. Clams, like most coral, won't like dKh jumping all over the place, and they're fairly sensitive animals.

Ensure you double check your dkH in case you made a testing error. If you followed the Aquaforest directions for salt your dKh should not be that high.
It should mix at 7-8 (if I am thinking of the right salt).
There is a very small chance you have a bad batch of salt. Mix a new batch and retest the alkalinity of that water.

What is your plan for dosing/keeping dKh stable? Keeping corals long term requires monitoring this parameter and ensuring it stays within a small range.

Your mushrooms will likely be OK as they are hardy but I would keep an eye on your torch coral.

Any change you make should be done slowly i.e. over a few days and not overnight. Stable numbers > "ideal" numbers.

P.s. your English is good - I'm sure a ton of people here can't speak Cantonese

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your advice, after double checking the kh, it still showed near 13, but I have no idea of how to decrease my kh, since the AF reef salt+ already have 11.8 dkh.
I don’t think that:salt has a dkh that high. Batch results can be viewed by checking batch code they icp test it. I’d get
Another test kit and verify the one ur using against it and batch result.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
kamkam1999

kamkam1999

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that:salt has a dkh that high. Batch results can be viewed by checking batch code they icp test it. I’d get
Another test kit and verify the one ur using against it and batch result.
1675494057649.png

Thanks for reply, I think my salt is the ne
w product of AF. let me double check the code tonight.

CookieRdReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had very high dkh (16) with no loss of coral or fish. It was a very establish and healthy system. I brought it down slowly. You could bring you salt to 1.024-1.025 or 34 ppm vs 35ppm by adding additional fresh water.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FM
Back