My first tank, my first aquascape, thoughts?

Netotek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mocked everything up and liked the look of it, the tank had water in the tank already so when I put the rocks in, and then the sand. It was Super cloudy, so I couldn't see the end result until the next day when the water cleared up. In the picture it's still a little cloudy, only because i levelled out the sand before the picture.

I tried sticking to the rule of thirds, trying to keep in mind the size of the corals and keeping space around the walls for ease of cleaning. I still don't know what corals I'm going to get, or really where they are going to go. I was thinking something taller where the purple one is, and maybe a GSP where the green one is. All the red areas are where I thought would be good areas for corals, as they are flat-ish and get good light. and theres a pass through in the middle there.

Is it too simplistic? I feel like I want to add more to fill the space but I don't want to go too high becuase then Corals can't be that close to the light maybe?

I would love any opinions, thank you.

IMG_0368.jpg Untitled-Artwork.jpg IMG_0369.jpg

Nutramar Foods

kbnh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important thing is if YOU like it. You can get more fill with corals over time, gorgonians can easily provide that if that’s something you’d prefer. Personally I’d go for a bit more rock just to have more spots for corals and hiding spots for fish but that also depends on the type of corals you’re gonna get.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. The open sand give you space for some nice LPS that like being on sand. It also leaves room so you could make some individual rock islands of you want to bring in coral that spreads or make a zoa island or two. It makes it much easier to keep it contained in an island.
Not sure what the tank size is and what fish are planned but you may need a few more hiding spots but maybe not.
As @Filipino Reefer stated once the coral are in and grow it will fill in.

OP
OP
Netotek

Netotek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. The open sand give you space for some nice LPS that like being on sand. It also leaves room so you could make some individual rock islands of you want to bring in coral that spreads or make a zoa island or two. It makes it much easier to keep it contained in an island.
Not sure what the tank size is and what fish are planned but you may need a few more hiding spots but maybe not.
As @Filipino Reefer stated once the coral are in and grow it will fill in.
Tank size is a 13.5 Gallon, and I was thinking of a clownfish, orange diamond goby, yellow clown goby, a sand sifting snail maybe? I'm not sure, I know I want a Clownfish for sure and a sand sifting Goby. everything else will be based on what fits and works well with the corals I guess

OP
OP
Netotek

Netotek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important thing is if YOU like it. You can get more fill with corals over time, gorgonians can easily provide that if that’s something you’d prefer. Personally I’d go for a bit more rock just to have more spots for corals and hiding spots for fish but that also depends on the type of corals you’re gonna get.
I was kind of thinking the same, right now the only hiding spots is under the main center rock and of the backside there is an area where they could be under the shelf. I was worried if I add more rock then I will be creating more shadow because I'm using the stock light for the foreseeable future. And I was thinking I would get no growth of corals from the shady areas

Attached is the view from the back where you can see all the shade from the overhang created.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Netotek

Netotek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Thank you to everyone for the advice. At the end of the day, I wasnt happy with it so I went and got one more rock from my LFS I think it looks way better. Now I'm just testing ammonia and Nitrate every day to see what the cycle is doing.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 23
Avast
OP
OP
Netotek

Netotek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I've been staring at this tank while it cycles and I've made a slight mod before glueing everything together.

I took my dremel to the underside of the center rock and created a bigger cave like area. I then took all the smaller pieces I had and made the archway to the right. I might put a piece or two over the obvious glue areas but I think I'm done.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 15

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I've been staring at this tank while it cycles and I've made a slight mod before glueing everything together.

I took my dremel to the underside of the center rock and created a bigger cave like area. I then took all the smaller pieces I had and made the archway to the right. I might put a piece or two over the obvious glue areas but I think I'm done.
Aquascape is looking really good!

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That scape looks good, i'd stick with that!

The Fluval EVO is a great little tank to scape and to play around with! That one will do you very well until the upgrade-factor strikes in! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Started with one EVO, then two - now they act as hospital and quarantine tank for my big display. A frag tank also came in as well as three FW tanks. All within five years. So help me god if I get another one!

Happy reefing!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back