Mushroom hasn't been fully extending and hasn't been looking too good for the last few months

Don'tMindWhatYouCallMe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this mushroom (discosoma I believe) around 5 months ago, it didn't look very good but a few weeks later it opened up and expanded. It stayed that way for a while but in the last few months it has started to retract again, the mouth in particular seems to have sorta disappeared. A few weeks ago it looked very bad with weird creases around the mouth, it seems to have improved a little now but there is just a hole in the centre rather than something resembling the original mouth and the coral is no longer able to eat any food. There is also some weird folding in the upper section as if it's splitting but it's stayed that way for some time now.

Both nitrate and phosphate are undetectable but I am using the API tests which I don't think are known for their accuracy (especially the phosphate test), I've attached 4 pictures of the mushroom at the different stages I described. What are some things I could do to help improve it and what other info should I give?

Images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hkMQQpVxGBBui0LsZnZHxL1ODCn40m1z?usp=sharing

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of caulerpa in my tank plus I don't feed since I only have clean up crew, that's probably why. So I should start feeding?
At the most basic, photosynthetic corals need food in the form of light and nutrients- phosphates and nitrates (and differing levels of Ca, Mg, and Alk...) . Soft corals need higher nutrients than some LPS and most SPS, although it's a good idea to research the corals you plan to get so you can be sure you can provide the environment they need - it's not as easy as some make it seem to have a full mixed tank with SPS, LPS, and softies... especially in an immature (e.g. less than 2 year old) system.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how do I increase nutrient levels without getting a ton of algae growth? Until recently this tank had a pretty big hair algae problem and I'm scared it might come back if I increase nutrients
Unfortunately, the conditions that grow corals also grow algae, so just make slow changes and proceed accordingly.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back