Multiple MP40s on one power supply?

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just wondering if anyone knew of or was using any ready made power supplies that could handle multiple MP40s? I've got four and the power bricks are driving me crazy. I know I can get a 36V breakout board and hack something together, but before going that route if there was a less messy solution I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know. The Hydros wave engine doesn't appear to provide power for MP40s if I'm understanding that correctly.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure this could be done if you have a power supply that can handle them the one from the factory should be designed to handle just 1 MP-40. I don't know anybody that has done this as you could just organize them better. I labeled mine so I knew which one went where, plus if you have a power supply problem they all go down no more flow.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm competent with electrical work so I could always build something that would work. I was just hoping there was a ready made solution so I wouldn't need to source a power supply and cut anything. If I ever need repair work done, Aperture might not approve of my cut wires soldered to spade terminals. Right now my Apex's EB832 is 1 return pump, 1 light (daisy chained), and 6 powerheads. I'd like to condense to make room for the skimmer, refugium light, reactors, dosers, etc etc

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's the thread discussing this.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's the thread discussing this.
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm competent with electrical work so I could always build something that would work. I was just hoping there was a ready made solution so I wouldn't need to source a power supply and cut anything. If I ever need repair work done, Aperture might not approve of my cut wires soldered to spade terminals. Right now my Apex's EB832 is 1 return pump, 1 light (daisy chained), and 6 powerheads. I'd like to condense to make room for the skimmer, refugium light, reactors, dosers, etc etc
Why are the Powerbeats even on the apex power bar? They don’t need controlling, just constant power. Seems like a waste of outlets IMO

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are the Powerbeats even on the apex power bar? They don’t need controlling, just constant power. Seems like a waste of outlets IMO
I pretty frequently turn them on/off for maintenance within the tank. Acclimating a fish/coral? Pumps go off for a few hours. Need to apply kalk to an aiptasia? Switched off. Doing a water change and the pumps are now above water level? Off. When my sump pump turns off, my skimmer and two MP40s turn off as well and then the skimmer/MP40s turn back on 5 minutes after my sump has resumed operation.

Power monitoring is useful for knowing when its time to clean as well. I'm not that familiar with the mobius app, but I have not yet found a way to pause the pumps through there. I admittedly haven't looked very hard though.
Could I just go hit the power button manually when doing this? Currently its a little tricky but I'm reorganizing everything so I suppose I could.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Hydros Kraken is supposed to be for that

I have seen Reef Pi brick reducers, 8 power outlets.

It definitely is doable, a meanwell could be made into one

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back