Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the cause yet, but I've had two Mobius enabled MP 40s on my 340 gallon system to push water from the back to the front of the display through two caves. My Tangs love it. They swim in front of them every day. I've also got 4 gyres that push water throughout the tank. So, the MP40s I see as more for fish entertainment than water movement. It's like their treadmill.

However, recently, I keep finding one of the two MP40 wet sides nearly half buried in the sand bed. And the dry side hanging from it's cord. This has happened 3 times now in the two years I've had the Mp40s (And just in the last month).

The Wet side is right over the pile of sand that my dragon wrasse sleeps in. And when I find it , it's nearly buried next to where he sleeps. When I pull the wetside out and take it apart, I find a 2-3 inch bristleworm and a bunch of baby bristle worms under the magnet of the impellor. Each time I've flushed the bristleworms down the drain and washed it out really well and it works fine, until 2-3 days later it's laying in the sand bed again. I'm starting to wonder if the dry side fell off the first time and it running without the wetside for a day or two would cause issues to the motor? Or... The alternative is my Dragon wrasse is literally pulling the dry side off the glass and burying it to catch bristle worms? I wouldn't put it past him, he's extremely smart. Last year I saw him taking my smaller flat rocks and laying them vertically. He built a 3 sided fort over his sleeping area. Walls, roof and all. It was destroyed the next day, but, he literally built a building. lol.

It's only the one dry side. The other MP 40 is about 3 feet from this one, but at the same level. Lower down pushing water through a tunnel. Just not over the Dragon wrasse's bed. I don't know if he just realized he cold remove it while it's running. Or if it's just falling off now for reasons of the motor.

CLICK TO VIEW

cmor1701d

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spec for MP40 is up to .75". My 210 has 1/2" glass and 2 used MP40's I recently bought fall off as soon as power is applied.
I've got one wetside soaking in citrus acid mixed with RO. I'll put it back together in the morning.
Does the shaft or any other part(s) need to be lubricated with something like Molykote 111?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Child D GIF by Disney+

Welcome to EcoTech. Over promising and under delivering. This is the way.

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the cause yet, but I've had two Mobius enabled MP 40s on my 340 gallon system to push water from the back to the front of the display through two caves. My Tangs love it. They swim in front of them every day. I've also got 4 gyres that push water throughout the tank. So, the MP40s I see as more for fish entertainment than water movement. It's like their treadmill.

However, recently, I keep finding one of the two MP40 wet sides nearly half buried in the sand bed. And the dry side hanging from it's cord. This has happened 3 times now in the two years I've had the Mp40s (And just in the last month).

The Wet side is right over the pile of sand that my dragon wrasse sleeps in. And when I find it , it's nearly buried next to where he sleeps. When I pull the wetside out and take it apart, I find a 2-3 inch bristleworm and a bunch of baby bristle worms under the magnet of the impellor. Each time I've flushed the bristleworms down the drain and washed it out really well and it works fine, until 2-3 days later it's laying in the sand bed again. I'm starting to wonder if the dry side fell off the first time and it running without the wetside for a day or two would cause issues to the motor? Or... The alternative is my Dragon wrasse is literally pulling the dry side off the glass and burying it to catch bristle worms? I wouldn't put it past him, he's extremely smart. Last year I saw him taking my smaller flat rocks and laying them vertically. He built a 3 sided fort over his sleeping area. Walls, roof and all. It was destroyed the next day, but, he literally built a building. lol.

It's only the one dry side. The other MP 40 is about 3 feet from this one, but at the same level. Lower down pushing water through a tunnel. Just not over the Dragon wrasse's bed. I don't know if he just realized he cold remove it while it's running. Or if it's just falling off now for reasons of the motor.
Which spacer are you using?

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the lowest spacer setting possible. I think I figured out the issue. I got rid of the dragon wrasse and the mp 40 hasn't fallen off since. I suspect that he was mad at the water blowing right over his sand home. Fish was too smart for his own good!

Corals.com
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back