Moving and need a lot of help/input!

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m moving and want to take my hobby with me. Sort of. I’m keeping my livestock, and I have moved with fish cross country before and feel comfortable with it. That’s not my problem area, I’m really torn on my actual aquarium.

So I’ve had a Red Sea 250 set up for a while and I don’t exactly want to pack and bring it with me and I’ve been wanting to upgrade. So I need to weigh my options. But I need help weighing my options!!

So here is what I’m looking for in a setup:
- 60-100 gallons display
- must have a sump
- stand

That’s all I need, which is harder than I expected. I currently am in Colorado where there are a lot of good reefing resources. I’m moving to Nevada where there is NOTHING, let alone reef supply stores.

So, here are the options I’m thinking of:

1)
Buy a tank online and get it shipped to my new place. My LFS is able to source it for me.
Pros: new tank, warranty, shipping
Cons: price! I really want to stay below 2k

2)
Find a used tank in Nevada. I looked at the used market over there and it sucks. Nothing above like 20 gallons.
Pros: price, location
Cons: lack of options, reliability

3)
Find a used tank in Colorado and just suck it up and transport it.
Pros: get desired tank, price
Cons: moving complications, reliability

4)
DIY. I have drilled and plumbed aquariums before successfully, never this large.
Pros: cost, versatility
Cons: risk of failure (I’m nervous lol)

So that’s where I’m at right now. I’m truly beside myself, it’s got me stressing. What would you do? Or do you have any recommendations that are different from what I’ve thought of? I would be so so grateful for any input. Thanks!

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 4 is your most budget friendly. It all depends on what you want in the end. A premade setup with high end finishes and/or glass or a run of the mill glass tank and DIY the tank to fit your needs and desires.

There really shouldn't be too much stress yet. I'm not sure when you're making the move, but plan it out and know what you're getting into will help immensely. Have you thought of how to keep your animals alive when you arrive in NV?

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 4 is your most budget friendly. It all depends on what you want in the end. A premade setup with high end finishes and/or glass or a run of the mill glass tank and DIY the tank to fit your needs and desires.

There really shouldn't be too much stress yet. I'm not sure when you're making the move, but plan it out and know what you're getting into will help immensely. Have you thought of how to keep your animals alive when you arrive in NV?
thank you so much. The move is next April, so I’ve got some time. I feel good about keeping everyone alive when I get there. I’ve done it before and it worked well!

I appreciate the input, it helps a lot.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved my tank, the best thing I did was have somewhere for the coral and fish to go on arrival. In my case, I bought a Rubbermaid 150 gallon stock tank. I had that set up and running in advance of moving the tank. It seemed way easier to have a destination tank ready to go, if possible. I ended up using that stock tank for a year until I got my new tank and stand.

If you can, I’d vote for having a tank set up in your new place, saltwater and heated and ready to stock on arrival.

Just to throw it out there, you said you’re pretty good on tank moves, but for anyone else reading this there are portable aerators that can connect up to 8 air stones. I got one off Amazon that connected to a normal outlet which my car had. Airline tubing connections x8 with air stones x8. I put that in the center of the back of the SUV and sureounded it with 5 gallon pails with drilled lids to fit the air stone tubing. One convenient machine kept 8 buckets of livestock continuously aerated during a move across states.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back