Moral dilemma... Can I just throw Kenya Trees away?

BRS

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works great in a fuge .
Post it for free and it will be gone. .

I do the same with gsp , Kenya , Xenia .
Really? Gimmie the link you use. Cause mine explode and the LFS seems to be uninterested... if I can keep em alive instead of flushing them, that would be better....

Nutramar Foods

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Gimmie the link you use. Cause mine explode and the LFS seems to be uninterested... if I can keep em alive instead of flushing them, that would be better....
Kijiji .
or Facebook groups .
Post them for free or cheap .
Not too many will actually pay much for them .

AS

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your yard has dandelions...
I’ve often thought what would happen if the neighbours new cedar shrubs along the property line were to be watered with old salty fish water .....

Spieg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invasive beginner coral? Kill it with fire!

Kill It With Fire GIF

Last edited:

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your yard has dandelions...
Except dandelions are the first spring food for honey bees to get their strength back up after winter. So my yard has a lot of dandelions. Lol

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need someone to tell me it's okay to just throw some of it away. I feel bad about doing that - so many things aren't successful in this hobby it pulls at my heart strings a little to just toss the stuff.
Curious what you do with your grass clippings

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah throw them away. It's like trimming plants. ^_^
Only it’s not. They’re animals. Ethically, I don’t think it’s right to throw them away, unless you’ve exhausted all options of finding them another home. Post ads on craigslist, FB (I’m sure there a local reefer group - I know now on mine people post frags for cheap or free all the time and they’re gone within a day), lfs’s, here on the marketplace. There are tons of new reefers out there that would gladly take them. I’m sure as a last resort the lfs would just take them for free.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only it’s not. They’re animals. Ethically, I don’t think it’s right to throw them away, unless you’ve exhausted all options of finding them another home. Post ads on craigslist, FB (I’m sure there a local reefer group - I know now on mine people post frags for cheap or free all the time and they’re gone within a day), lfs’s, here on the marketplace. There are tons of new reefers out there that would gladly take them. I’m sure as a last resort the lfs would just take them for free.
Why not, it's not like they have feelings or anything like that. We toss out or kill animals all the time. Aiptasia, flatworms, etc. If we don't want them anymore, no different than throwing out any of the 'pest' animals out.

TxReefer21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Canton Texas, between Kaufman and Tyler.
I’m in lake Dallas. North of you. I’m gonna grow some more give to my brother in law and if you want a piece you are more then welcome to grab a piece. I have one right now that’s about 3 inches and was lying on my bare bottom an is standing up right on his foot now lol I have probably a couple branches that are about to break off on their Own

sflinders

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kenya Tree explosion... I'm going to get a few bucks from some of it in trade-in value from my LFS, but it spreads fast. I've got quite a few sprouts left. :)

I need someone to tell me it's okay to just throw some of it away. I feel bad about doing that - so many things aren't successful in this hobby it pulls at my heart strings a little to just toss the stuff.

Who can make me feel better about it? :)
I have the same problem. Did the frag thing until I didn’t have any more room. Then gave away all I could. Now, trim and toss.

Last edited:

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in lake Dallas. North of you. I’m gonna grow some more give to my brother in law and if you want a piece you are more then welcome to grab a piece. I have one right now that’s about 3 inches and was lying on my bare bottom an is standing up right on his foot now lol I have probably a couple branches that are about to break off on their Own
That's very nice of you, but I don't think my tank is ready for corals yet. As soon as I get the phosphate down I'd be happy to get some.

Thank you!

Nutramar Foods

TxReefer21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Canton Texas, between Kaufman and Tyler.
That's very nice of you, but I don't think my tank is ready for corals yet. As soon as I get the phosphate down I'd be happy to get some.

Thank you!
Anytime. It’s a very hardy coral it’d take a lot to kill it tbh

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not, it's not like they have feelings or anything like that. We toss out or kill animals all the time. Aiptasia, flatworms, etc. If we don't want them anymore, no different than throwing out any of the 'pest' animals out.
Only they’re not pests, they’re animals you decided to take into your care. And you don’t know that they don’t have feelings, as in capable of feeling pain or discomfort, they react to to touch, they’re obviously capable of feeling. I don’t know, there just something kind of gross and callous about acting like animals are disposable just because they aren’t higher functioning or are considered ‘cute’. I can’t say I’m happy or feel good about having to get rid of living pests in my tanks, I genuinely feel about about it, but if they’re uninvited and hurting something else, I’ll get rid of them. It just seems wrong to me to dispose of them when it generally only takes a tiny bit of effort to find new homes for them (there are already a bunch of people here saying they’ll pay for shipping).

blasterman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS store also won't take them. Same with xenia or GSP. They have yards of it.

I really don't like giving corals away if there are reputable LFS stores in the area with stock. You just hurt them.

Nutramar Foods

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS store also won't take them. Same with xenia or GSP. They have yards of it.

I really don't like giving corals away if there are reputable LFS stores in the area with stock. You just hurt them.
Now, I understand the importance of supporting local lfs’s, but this hobby was born from and has always had a thriving community of people trading and giving away frags, its part of the dna of the hobby. LFS’s don’t make much money on corals anyway. By getting newer hobbyists into keeping corals by giving out/selling cheap frags, you’re basically giving the LFS a customer for reefing supplies/dry products (which is where they make most of their money).

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back