Moral dilemma... Can I just throw Kenya Trees away?

BRS

Lylelovett

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kenya Tree explosion... I'm going to get a few bucks from some of it in trade-in value from my LFS, but it spreads fast. I've got quite a few sprouts left. :)

I need someone to tell me it's okay to just throw some of it away. I feel bad about doing that - so many things aren't successful in this hobby it pulls at my heart strings a little to just toss the stuff.

Who can make me feel better about it? :)

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods

reefinatl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kenya Tree explosion... I'm going to get a few bucks from some of it in trade-in value from my LFS, but it spreads fast. I've got quite a few sprouts left. :)

I need someone to tell me it's okay to just throw some of it away. I feel bad about doing that - so many things aren't successful in this hobby it pulls at my heart strings a little to just toss the stuff.

Just start gluing tiny tiny sprigs of it to frags you sell. Call it a free gift, people will love you for it.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah throw them away. It's like trimming plants. ^_^

Corals.com

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So by explosion .... do you mean that it is just breaking off pieces and they are sprouting like weeds? Or did you trim it back?
I have had something similar happen with Waving Hand Anthelia this week. It got stung by my torch and it suddenly sent out all of these polyps ... I mean like everywhere. Those polyps grabbed on to other places and in two days those suckers have started like 6 new colonies.
I feel your pain... when I move things to the new DT, that mother colony is going in the sump and there will be a big plucking. (Free to good home? LOL)

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just give it away to the lfs that's already getting some?
You could also post in the for sale forum and in the title say FREE, it will be gone by the next day. If all fails and no one wants it then just pitch it as you have no other choice at that point.

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave Logo Banner

reefinatl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, people already want it at that price point (FREE):) works everytime.
Yep, you can usually start a whole softy tank for free. I've got a little nano with Kenya tree, gsp, toadstool, xenia, and yellow polyps. All free. I call it my nano of doom. Should be fun to see it all grow out. Need to do some aquascaping in it soon here.

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back