Mixing Angels...

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so yesterday I got a call from my local fish guy that he picked up an 8" Regal Angel for me... its being QT & medicated now and is eating....
my concerns... I already have the following:
7+ inch Queen Angel
5.5 inch Emperor changing
4 inch Majestic
Coral Beauty
Flame
Scopas Tang
Powder Blue
Regal Hippo

When i put the Queen in (the latest) she is big... so no one bothered her... the Scopas tried to slap her out of his cave but she just stood there and dismissed him...
I will use an Acclimation box for a few hours like the queen, but again with his size i dont expect anyone to mess with him. Maybe the Emperor or Queen... but they both are pretty calm.
My Emperor will "lazily" Grunt and chase the majestic out of one side of the tank occasionally, but literally chases for a half a second and then leaves her be.
Regal.jpg

For the upcoming questions...
240 Display 8 feet long
55 Gal sump
10 Gal holding tank
All connected, same plumbing.
Will get some more rock to make 2 more caves as well

Duane family

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept this combination and one or to more together in a slightly smaller display I don't see an issue. But as always sometimes fish personalities vary and if the emperor for example is an aggressive one (I think not based on your queen introduction brief) then perhaps he could upset the Regal. But I would think you should be ok. But a word of caution, Regals and specially bigger ones can be very sensitive in the beginning and stop eating. So watch out for that as your recourse in that situation would be to pull the fish and hold it in a separate tank where you can deal with it. But you seem to have a Red Sea specimen there so all odds should be in your favor.

It would be great if you kept the thread updated so that others have a reference to learn from.

Best of luck, he is a beautiful specimen

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response!
I felt the same, the Queen intro went smooth !!!
I've actually had a regal before and it stopped eating after a month and staved itself.
but he came from Live Aquaria... never buying fish from there again...
this guy is local and has the fish eating and medicating.
I will definitely keep this updated as time goes.

Last edited:

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be an issue, but you never know.

I'd get a large enough acclimation box that it can be in for there a few days. I prefer to let them adjust for a few days.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acc box is the XL eshopps. I mean they fit but that still looks too small IMO to keep a big fish in for days.
With my queen i had her in the 10 gal holding for a day, then next day in the acc box in the DT for only 4 hours and i released her. She was pushing against the acc box walls looking for a way out.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern is you have a few angels that have a rep for being more aggressive. I had an adult regal and a juv french. The second he outsized her and realized that he bullied the heck out of her and my tusk (thinking because of the pattern being similar to hers) and regals are shy. She bullied the french initially to show him who was boss but when he went after her she cowered and hid and was constantly stressed. Removing him made her able to eat and be out and about again. I would advise keeping an eye on your queen and emperor, especially when it gets bigger than the regal to make sure they are not going after the regal since they are just shy and of course beautiful!!!

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the 10 gal eating nori.

Attachments

• VID-20241019-WA0001.mp4
    835.8 KB
Last edited:
OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright update... the regal has not eaten a thing since in the display (Sunday morning)... Powder blue gave him a hard time and then stopped but the queen just follows him everywhere and i think he's intimidated. I even made a bunch of mastic, froze it and then put two slabs inside of little fishies pouch today apart from each other in the tank. Haven't seen him eat. I did record him eating nori when he was in the 10 gal alone. Thats the video above. But I haven't seen him in person.
I am going to see if i can pull him out and put him back in the 10 to feed him, or if i can catch the queen for timeout. I'll see what i can do when the lights go out tonight.

Duane family

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was suitably fat you would be better off giving him some more time.
Also regals will often eat growth off rock work in their own time instead of eating when you feed.

I think you should have a little more patience with this guy.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i was thinking the same... and I caught no one last night so there goes that.
He is super chunky and i did record him eating nori in the isolation tank.
I may look around for some fresh clams to see if he takes that.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would give it more time but you could try and mix some nori into the masstick and smear it on some rocks for grazing.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on Fresh oyster instead of clam, cant find clams at the moment. But i found live oysters...

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd be careful of the emperor angel - mine was fine as a juvenile but as he matured, he was quite aggressive to all other fish in the tank. He even made a kind of bass rumble when chasing them - heard throughout the house LOL.
DSC_1448.jpeg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok. Fish have their own personalities so you never know.
Moving some rocks around right before you let it loose can help. If problems arise a mirror can help.
Good luck, keep us posted

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back