Methods to increasing flow without upsetting coral?

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 50 gallon tank (36 x 15 x 20 inches)
that is about 4 months old. I have cyano on my sand bed so am looking to increase flow. I have some softies/LPS corals and I’m a little worried about changing the flow too much and upsetting them. Currently I have a cp3 fluval wave maker (740gph) on one side of the tank that’s about 4 inches down and pointing to the surface and front glass. I just purchased another one to help increase the flow. Any suggestions on placement/ strategies to acclimate the corals to the new flow?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 50 gallon tank (36 x 15 x 20 inches)
that is about 4 months old. I have cyano on my sand bed so am looking to increase flow. I have some softies/LPS corals and I’m a little worried about changing the flow too much and upsetting them. Currently I have a cp3 fluval wave maker (740gph) on one side of the tank that’s about 4 inches down and pointing to the surface and front glass. I just purchased another one to help increase the flow. Any suggestions on placement/ strategies to acclimate the corals to the new flow?
Make 1% increases while monitoring coral until you find happy percentage

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are generally corals(softies or otherwise) can handle(and in some cases need) much more flow than people give them. Having said that I would take back the 2nd fluvial and buy a controllable powerheads. They not only allow adjusting the amount of flow, but also to use various pulse modes. You want more of a random flow and if the that powerheads is what I am thinking you have no intensity control or ability to make pulses or random modes

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are generally corals(softies or otherwise) can handle(and in some cases need) much more flow than people give them. Having said that I would take back the 2nd fluvial and buy a controllable powerheads. They not only allow adjusting the amount of flow, but also to use various pulse modes. You want more of a random flow and if the that powerheads is what I am thinking you have no intensity control or ability to make pulses or random modes
Thanks for your reply! you’re right it only has one speed so I’ll look into a different powerhead!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I cannot change the sped with this power head but looks like I need to get a different one anyway
For now, you can deflect it off glass- It will reduce flow strength and offer a gyre effect

Nutramar Foods

Quietman

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two pumps should really be enough flow, redirect as mention will help. Softies/LPS can take a bit so don't worry too much about redirecting, just watch the corals - if they close for more than a couple days - might want to move a bit more.

Might also think about just getting some cyano treatment and dosing rather than spending more on pumps. Knock it back and then monitor to see if it returns with new adjusted flow.

At 4 months...this is just your tank still balancing out and maturing. So all part of getting there.

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two pumps should really be enough flow, redirect as mention will help. Softies/LPS can take a bit so don't worry too much about redirecting, just watch the corals - if they close for more than a couple days - might want to move a bit more.

Might also think about just getting some cyano treatment and dosing rather than spending more on pumps. Knock it back and then monitor to see if it returns with new adjusted flow.

At 4 months...this is just your tank still balancing out and maturing. So all part of getting there.
Thank you! That gives me piece of mind that they shouldn't be too upset. Yeah I figured it was probably all part of the ugly phase so was hoping time and more flow would help it along. If it gets worse I'll definitely move on to treatment.
For now, you can deflect it off glass- It will reduce flow strength and offer a gyre effect
Thank you for the advice! I'll place the power head like this for now.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back