Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that many are making mesh lids for their tanks using aluminum window frame kits found in hardware stores, or even at the LFS.

Won't the salt react with the aluminum and 'poison' the tank in some capacity? That and the rubber spline that holds the mesh together might even break down over time. I'm wondering if there's a reef safe epoxy or paint spray that can coat the aluminum frame to prevent any issues by using this material.

Thoughts?

Thans

Nutramar Foods

glb

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this and used regular spray paint to coat the aluminum. It’s pitted a little but can easily be touched up. As far as the splining, I’ve had my cover over the tank for several years now and it’s holding up fine. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this and used regular spray paint to coat the aluminum. It’s pitted a little but can easily be touched up. As far as the splining, I’ve had my cover over the tank for several years now and it’s holding up fine. Hope this helps!
Thanks! Do you recall what brand/type of spray paint that you used? Concern is it being 'reef safe'

Corals.com

mtfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any paint once completely dried will be "reef safe". I am in the same boat as my screens (I have 4 total) are now 11 years old. I did paint mine also, but there is definitely oxidation going on that I am sure is not good for the tank. Lucky for me I have around 500 gallons total water. I wish somone would come up with a 3D printed "window screen frames". I would be the first to purchase it.

glb

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you recall what brand/type of spray paint that you used? Concern is it being 'reef safe'
I used Rustoleum 2x. Just regular spray paint. Once it dries, it’s fine. I keep the screen away from the tank until it dried because of the fumes.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back