Media options for Co2 scrubber

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Struggling a bit with pH due to co2 levels in the fishroom.
Considering a Co2 scrubber but then media cost will be a limiting factor due to large volume 1500 G and I presume fast consumption as media is known not to.last long.
I thought that the Co2 scrubber media was calcium carbonate which I was only able to find a powder form in bulk for a reasonable price but after some research I'm not sure it's what I need ?
Will Calcium carbonate absorbed CO2 and anyway to use powder form VS pellets form ???

from research I made seems sodalime that is used is a mix of
Calcium hydroxide 75%
Sodium hydroxide 3%
Potassium hydroxide 1%
Rest being water

Still searching for calcium hydroxide locally bit only seing powder form. Anyway to use a powder form.and have air go through it or will it block air intake? I'm also afraid of powder being sucked into skimmer with air ???

Are the sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide necessary as the percentage is very low ?

Thanks for any other suggestions

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, calcium carbonate will not absorb and CO2. It is the end product of other materials (such as soda lime or calcium hydroxide) absorbing CO2.

The added hydroxides speed the process along.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Randy

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Considering a Co2 scrubber but then media cost will be a limiting factor due to large volume 1500 G and I presume fast consumption as media is known not to.last long.
I thought that the Co2 scrubber media was calcium carbonate which I was only able to find a powder form in bulk for a reasonable price but after some research I'm not sure it's what I need ?
Will Calcium carbonate absorbed CO2 and anyway to use powder form VS pellets form ???

Calcium hydroxide 75%
Sodium hydroxide 3%
Potassium hydroxide 1%
Rest being water

Still searching for calcium hydroxide locally bit only seing powder form. Anyway to use a powder form.and have air go through it or will it block air intake? I'm also afraid of powder being sucked into skimmer with air ???

Are the sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide necessary as the percentage is very low ?

This is the cheapest co2 scrubber media source out there and the best media I have found .

https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/..._IxWuNX595UuYwvjmhv1t6SGQ9bZM5yXKNW0RuvqjBJZF

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Calcium hydroxide 75%
Sodium hydroxide 3%
Potassium hydroxide 1%
Rest being water

I use IceCap CO2 Scrubbers different sizes on my tanks, I have problems with PH mostly during the summer months, and Fish Tank Direct sells IceCap Color Changing CO2 Absorbent for 12 bucks no tax, and it works great I think mostly because I also dose Kalk,

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back