+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish in QT with marine velvet I have couple of questions

1) Can I use methylene blue when doing fresh water dips?
2) Can I add methylene blue to copper treated tank(cupramine)?
3) Can marine velvet contaminate my RODI water if came in contact? can velvet survive in RODI water if yes for how long?
4) The fish is in copper for 2-3 days but still has white dusting on it and is breathing heavily. The fish stopped eating as well.
how many days before the fish health improves after copper?
5) Do I need to add any other medication else to the copper treated water?
6) Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation form your personal experiences?
7) Last Cupramine or Copper power the best choice here?

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a fish in QT with marine velvet I have couple of questions

1) Can I use methylene blue when doing fresh water dips?
2) Can I add methylene blue to copper treated tank(cupramine)?
3) Can marine velvet contaminate my RODI water if came in contact? can velvet survive in RODI water if yes for how long?
4) The fish is in copper for 2-3 days but still has white dusting on it and is breathing heavily. The fish stopped eating as well.
how many days before the fish health improves after copper?
5) Do I need to add any other medication else to the copper treated water?
6) Is there anything else I can do to improve the situation form your personal experiences?
7) Last Cupramine or Copper power the best choice here?
Do not mix. Best dip is ruby r Pro or formalin.
For copper use copper safe and do you have or are you using copper test kit? What level is your copper at ?

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not mix. Best dip is ruby r Pro or formalin.
For copper use copper safe and do you have or are you using copper test kit? What level is your copper at ?
I had only cupramine initially . I am using Hannah copper checker . I bought some copper safe as well. Now I think its hard to replace cupramine with copper safe. Cupramine is at .57.

Nutramar Foods

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had only cupramine initially . I am using Hannah copper checker . I bought some copper safe as well. Now I think its hard to replace cupramine with copper safe. Cupramine is at .57.
Cupramine worked just fine for me in saving fish from velvet. I tried to not allow it to creep past .52.

I've read it can take 3 days for the fish to actually get relief after reaching therapeutic levels.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine worked just fine for me in saving fish from velvet. I tried to not allow it to creep past .52.

I've read it can take 3 days for the fish to actually get relief after reaching therapeutic levels.
hopefully it recovers .... was your fish eating ? mine stopped eating

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cuprisirb will remove it to replace with coppersafe .

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Velvet contaminate RO- no

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprisirb will remove it to replace with coppersafe .
Cuprisorb seems to take a LONG time to remove copper. Given that the fish are already highly affected, wouldn't it be detrimental at this point to Remove the medication which could take well over a week, just to add the same, but different medication back?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Somewhat
I’ve had quicker results with cuprisorb
Chemipure elite will be very effective also

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprisorb seems to take a LONG time to remove copper. Given that the fish are already highly affected, wouldn't it be detrimental at this point to Remove the medication which could take well over a week, just to add the same, but different medication back?

I would consider it detrimental because the timer starts over if the copper drops out of theraputic range. AKA fish spend a longer time in copper which is still a toxin to fish so I would try and limit that as much as possible while still being effective.

If I wanted to change the type of copper. I would remove the fish and place them in a holding bucket with their cupramin tank water.

Then 100% change all the remaining water with copper power water at therapeutic levels already. Then catch and directly add the fish back. This will cause some stress ofc but QT timer shouldn't have to restart.

As far as RO goes... maybe? sort of? It seems that velvet may be able to form dinospores but loses its motility (in super hyposalinity so potentially freshwater) when it emerges. I am careful not to contaminate my RODI just in case.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider it detrimental because the timer starts over if the copper drops out of theraputic range. AKA fish spend a longer time in what is a toxin.

If I wanted to change the type of copper. I would remove the fish and place them in a holding bucket with their cupramin tank water.

Then 100% change all the remaining water with copper power water at therapeutic levels already. Then catch and directly add the fish back. This will cause some stress ofc but QT timer shouldn't have to restart.
The shot clock of how long a fish has been in medication isn't what's worrying me. It's that velvet can kill brutally fast and copper talkes Days to start working for the fish to have some relief. Using 200 grams of cuprisorb in a 20g qt, after 10 days, copper had fallen from .48 to .29. If we're talking about switching medications, This is not seem like the way to do it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shot clock of how long a fish has been in medication isn't what's worrying me. It's that velvet can kill brutally fast and copper talkes Days to start working for the fish to have some relief. Using 200 grams of cuprisorb in a 20g qt, after 10 days, copper had fallen from .48 to .29. If we're talking about switching medications, This is not seem like the way to do it.

Not sure what you mean. if you move the fish from therapeutic copper to therapeutic copper with no drop. Then the parasite it still being treated the whole time regardless of which copper it is. That is what I am suggesting. I am not suggesting cuprisorb.

I am not sure why they want to change copper tbh unless the fish are having a hard time with cupramine.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean. if you move the fish from therapeutic copper to therapeutic copper with no drop. Then the parasite it still being treated the whole time regardless of which copper it is. That is what I am suggesting. I am not suggesting cuprisorb.

I am not sure why they want to change copper tbh unless the fish are having a hard time with cupramine.
We're on the same side of the discussion. I was pushing back against using cuprisorb or cp Elite to remove the current Cooper.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back