Mantis Shrimp foods

YellowThunder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently purchased my peacock mantis shrimp. He is in a 40 gallon tank with a blue damsel and a neon goby I have pipework throughout the whole tank that he has made his cave. I offered an emerald crab but it was a large one and he is on the smaller end of peacock mantis shrimp I was wondering what type of live food I could offer him. I’ve heard of people feeding them live clams like vanilla clams from the store and was wondering if it was safe or not. I also thought about hermit crabs but they are said to have hard shells. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some safe and suitable live food options for your peacock mantis shrimp:
Small Crustaceans:
Hermit Crabs: While their shells are hard, peacock mantis shrimp have powerful claws that can break through. Offer smaller hermit crabs that the shrimp can manage.
Emerald Crabs: Smaller emerald crabs can be suitable, as long as they are not too large for your shrimp.
Fiddler Crabs: These are often readily accepted and provide good enrichment.
Snails:
Nassarius Snails: They have softer shells compared to some other snail species and can be a good option.
Astrea and Turbo Snails: These can also be offered, but choose smaller sizes to ensure the mantis shrimp can handle them.
Clams and Mussels:
Live Clams (e.g., Vanilla Clams): These are generally safe to offer and can provide good enrichment as the mantis shrimp will enjoy the challenge of breaking into them. Make sure they are from a safe and reputable source to avoid introducing contaminants.
Crustacean Varieties:
Shrimp: Live feeder shrimp are an excellent choice. Ghost shrimp or small freshwater shrimp can be offered.
Crayfish: Smaller crayfish can be an exciting challenge for your mantis shrimp.
Tips for Feeding:
Variety: Offer a variety of live foods to ensure a balanced diet and to keep the mantis shrimp engaged.
Safety: Ensure the live food is healthy and free from parasites or diseases.
Observation: Monitor feeding to ensure the mantis shrimp is eating and to avoid leftover food decomposing in the tank.
Supplementation: Occasionally, supplement with frozen or prepared foods like pieces of raw shrimp, squid, or fish to ensure nutritional balance.
Enrichment: Mantis shrimp enjoy the challenge of hunting live prey, which provides both physical and mental stimulation.
Tankmates: Keep an eye on the blue damsel and neon goby, as mantis shrimp may eventually view them as potential prey.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had one for years. Any kind of snail will be ok for food. Smaller ones are easier for them to eat.

Any kind of hermit crab

Emerald crabs if the mantis is large enough.

Live Crayfish

Your damsel and goby will get eaten eventually

Thawed frozen food like krill or larger shrimp

They are incredibly smart and get bored easily. Very the diet. Have a cave for him to live in. Add lots of live rock rubble. They like to move or around and build with it

OP
OP
Y

YellowThunder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some safe and suitable live food options for your peacock mantis shrimp:
Small Crustaceans:
Hermit Crabs: While their shells are hard, peacock mantis shrimp have powerful claws that can break through. Offer smaller hermit crabs that the shrimp can manage.
Emerald Crabs: Smaller emerald crabs can be suitable, as long as they are not too large for your shrimp.
Fiddler Crabs: These are often readily accepted and provide good enrichment.
Snails:
Nassarius Snails: They have softer shells compared to some other snail species and can be a good option.
Astrea and Turbo Snails: These can also be offered, but choose smaller sizes to ensure the mantis shrimp can handle them.
Clams and Mussels:
Live Clams (e.g., Vanilla Clams): These are generally safe to offer and can provide good enrichment as the mantis shrimp will enjoy the challenge of breaking into them. Make sure they are from a safe and reputable source to avoid introducing contaminants.
Crustacean Varieties:
Shrimp: Live feeder shrimp are an excellent choice. Ghost shrimp or small freshwater shrimp can be offered.
Crayfish: Smaller crayfish can be an exciting challenge for your mantis shrimp.
Tips for Feeding:
Variety: Offer a variety of live foods to ensure a balanced diet and to keep the mantis shrimp engaged.
Safety: Ensure the live food is healthy and free from parasites or diseases.
Observation: Monitor feeding to ensure the mantis shrimp is eating and to avoid leftover food decomposing in the tank.
Supplementation: Occasionally, supplement with frozen or prepared foods like pieces of raw shrimp, squid, or fish to ensure nutritional balance.
Enrichment: Mantis shrimp enjoy the challenge of hunting live prey, which provides both physical and mental stimulation.
Tankmates: Keep an eye on the blue damsel and neon goby, as mantis shrimp may eventually view them as potential prey.
Any recommendations on where to buy the clams or how to make sure they are free of parasites and diseases?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used half shelled clams and would hold it so he could punch it and then I'd let go of it.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an LFS that sells Coral they likely have a frozen food fridge full of things like clams on the half shell, Muscles and shellfish.

PeacockMantisShrimp56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diet of a peacock mantis shrimp is not cut and dry like a clownfish for instance because they all prefer different types of food.

My peacock favorite food is shrimp. I order 1 piece of shrimp from the seafood department at the grocery store and cut it up into dime size pieces. She will bear hug that piece of shrimp for hours. Haha

Frozen “Ocean Nutrition Clams on the Half Shell” should be available at your LFS. Not only they can punch them but can use the shell to reinforce their living area as needed.

I also rotate frozen cubes of mysis shrimp, plankton, and krill on rare occasions

Water change days I’ll give 3 margarita snails since my LFS sells them for a $1 a piece and maybe an emerald crab if I’m feeling generous.

Note that when your mantis is near molting they prefer softer food.

What works for me may not work for you. Good luck!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back