Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a 47 gal saltwater tank, all in one that’s been up and running for 3 months. Before this, I had a 29 gal with external filter. What are the recommendations for cleaning the internal filter chambers? I just noticed there is red debris in the chamber. I do water changes once a week. I clean the socks weekly. The water looks good as far as clarity and fish and corals are doing well. My nitrates are up at 30 which is new. I did start feeding corals over the last 2 weeks.
Any help appreciated.

Nutramar Foods

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a long-handled scrub brush that can get into all the corners and crevices worked well. And one of those disposable electric toothbrushes,
What about a small bottle brush typically used for cleaning test tubes ?

World Wide Corals

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once made the mistake of never vacuuming those back chambers in an AIO. WOW the crud in there after a year. Even using filter floss and a skimmer the next to last chamber filled with ick about 1 inch deep. It was pod heaven so I left it and monitored my phos as well as nitrates. Never had a problem. Tank still grows today. I cleaned it out by poking the "silt" with a length of rigid air line once a week, with a filter sock stuffed with filter floss in the over flow.

I was afraid I would release all sorts of nasty. The corals all loved it when I would do that. It took about a year to clear it out that way and the corals grew better that year than any other time in that tank.

OP
OP
Ariel'sMom

Ariel'sMom

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once made the mistake of never vacuuming those back chambers in an AIO. WOW the crud in there after a year. Even using filter floss and a skimmer the next to last chamber filled with ick about 1 inch deep. It was pod heaven so I left it and monitored my phos as well as nitrates. Never had a problem. Tank still grows today. I cleaned it out by poking the "silt" with a length of rigid air line once a week, with a filter sock stuffed with filter floss in the over flow.

I was afraid I would release all sorts of nasty. The corals all loved it when I would do that. It took about a year to clear it out that way and the corals grew better that year than any other time in that tank.
Thank you for the advice! Since my nitrates are high, and I’m new at this, should I be doing anything else? As I said earlier, everything looks healthy and then I discovered the gunk in the chamber. I don’t have filer floss…should I be using it?
Thanks again!

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps some. I still use filter floss in a media basket in in my over flow chamber and a skimmer in my second chamber. But now I use a low flow pump to start a syphon so that I can vacuum out the second chamber every few water changes. its mostly sediment though these days.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Ariel'sMom

Ariel'sMom

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It helps some. I still use filter floss in a media basket in in my over flow chamber and a skimmer in my second chamber. But now I use a low flow pump to start a syphon so that I can vacuum out the second chamber every few water changes. its mostly sediment though these days.
Thank you!

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back