+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates....
Added a few new Mags over the last several weeks. 3 small purple with yellow tips, a large blue, a large gold with purple tips, and a very nice purple with bright blue tips!
After adding all these new Mags, I felt that the tank was just too congested with rock, so I removed a few pieces of rock that housed my remaining SPS frags and reoriented one of the large rocks to create a center atoll.
Here's a video of the tank before the new aquascaping:

Here's a video after the new aquascaping:

Here's a video, under daylight spectrum, today of how the Mags, and my LTA's decide to relocate themselves:

And heck, why not one more? A top down video taking this evening under all blues. I just love my top down viewing of these amazing anemones! Flow is off so the water is smooth and nems are showing off their size!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Lost two of my favorite Magnifica over the last few months, but added a few more. Everyone seems very happy at the moment.
This video is under blue and violet LEDs strip and Kessils at 100% blue at 5% intensity, just before lights out.

MartinM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Lost two of my favorite Magnifica over the last few months, but added a few more. Everyone seems very happy at the moment.
This video is under blue and violet LEDs strip and Kessils at 100% blue at 5% intensity, just before lights out.
That’s terrible, what happened?

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. One started to disintegrate along it's edge which progressed even with quarantine and Cipro treatment. The other was a 'rescue' that had some bad tears in its foot, which I knew about in the beginning, and lasted for several months before simply deflating and never again inflating. Again, did not respond to quarantine and CIpro.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MartinM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three for over a year, one was just never happy. I finally gave it away. The other two are getting really big and do just fine.

Did the mags that died eat something that the healthy ones didn’t?

Anecdotally, my anemones often seem to me to get annoyed if I go too long without running carbon or don’t change it when I should, and they definitely get annoyed when the nutrient levels get too low (I have a dozen clams in the system so that happens easily).

I feel your pain though. I had a beautiful dark purple carpet anemone slowly die a mystery death, possibly from being fed oysters (I won’t make that mistake again) but also possibly not. Meanwhile the other 4 carpets in that system are huge and happy to this day, praise God. Sometimes these things are just inexplicable unfortunately. I’m glad your current mags are doing well!

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Mag is showing any kind of dominance at this time. My large blue base/pink tentacle (middle right) initially was fairly dominant until it founds its spot. Now it lets the littler ones climb all over it until they find their spot.
Sunday movies!!!
Added another Mag (back wall right side) yesterday. He looks happy today!
Moved some rocks around again so that almost all the Mags are now visible. Still a few small ones hiding in the back though. Planning a bigger tank as I type!
Early morning light:

Daylight full spectrum:

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have noticed that they all look a bit better now that I'm dosing Iodine once a week. I thought my Tropic Marin All For Reef had it, but I have a batch that was formulated before they added the Iodine. Thanks to Dr. Mac at PacificEastAquaculture for that tip!

Corals.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

PremiumAquatics.com
Back