macro algae and soft corals together?

Chemjab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the correct place to post this question? My tank hasn't arrived yet. I'm thinking ahead and really like the flowing movements of soft corals and macro algae like "red fern". Can they be kept together successfully after cycling and a stable tank is established? I did spend some time searching, but didn't find this specific question. I will have an Infinia Reef 150.4. (48"x 25" x 21").
Thank you in advance.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes definitely! from my experience, i’ve never had any issues! i’d recommend just keeping an eye on the macro algae so it doesn’t over grow, and shade out the zoas! they’ll also possibly compete for rock space if they’re the branching, rooting kind like some Caulerpa (sea grapes). also keep in mind that zoas usually like decently “dirty” water, and macro algae will be constantly cleaning the water and removing the nitrates that the zoas want. As long as the water doesn’t get too clean though, you should be all set! that shouldn’t really be an issue until down the road though when the macro starts to get to a good size and pulls more nutrients from the water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chemjab

Chemjab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes definitely! from my experience, i’ve never had any issues! i’d recommend just keeping an eye on the macro algae so it doesn’t over grow, and shade out the zoas! they’ll also possibly compete for rock space if they’re the branching, rooting kind like some Caulerpa (sea grapes). also keep in mind that zoas usually like decently “dirty” water, and macro algae will be constantly cleaning the water and removing the nitrates that the zoas want. As long as the water doesn’t get too clean though, you should be all set! that shouldn’t really be an issue until down the road though when the macro starts to get to a good size and pulls more nutrients from the water.
That is really good to hear. I guess then it's the same idea as purning a refugium and that there would be no need for a refugium using this method? I'd like to see pictures of yours.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really good to hear. I guess then it's the same idea as purning a refugium and that there would be no need for a refugium using this method? I'd like to see pictures of yours.
i’ll post a pic in a few minutes when i turn the lights on! i’m using the macro tank as a frag tank until next week, so please excuse the rack! i have GSP growing on one of the rocks, with caulerpa growing around it. i had bozo birthday zoas on the rock as well, but had to move them onto the frag rack for now until i can take it out

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bunch of gracilaria hayi and codium in my softie and lps nano cube. It’s an approach I took in hopes of keeping elevated nutrients at bay. My tank is still kinda young (a year and some) so I still see film algae and occasional GHA but overall I’m happy with the look and the N and P consumption provided by macros. I would recommend getting a smaller amount of some slow growing macros at first as to not bottom out nutrients

0B44B52F-0A13-4720-8378-0765B7CC9F82.jpeg

OP
OP
Chemjab

Chemjab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of gracilaria hayi and codium in my softie and lps nano cube. It’s an approach I took in hopes of keeping elevated nutrients at bay. My tank is still kinda young (a year and some) so I still see film algae and occasional GHA but overall I’m happy with the look and the N and P consumption provided by macros. I would recommend getting a smaller amount of some slow growing macros at first as to not bottom out nutrients

0B44B52F-0A13-4720-8378-0765B7CC9F82.jpeg
This looks fantastic! How is the gracilaria hayi anchored in the front? Where is the codium, my newb eyes can't spot it. LOL

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current macro setup. my tanks are connected, side-by-side, with two pumps to exchange water between them. basically a manual sump.
731416132603815166.jpeg
1682964803743639855.jpeg

the GSP is closed still because the lights just came on. also, excuse the big glob of superglue in the gsp colony, i saw an aptasia and wanted to make sure it was the last time lol. i’ll be adding more zoas though as my frags grow more

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this the correct place to post this question? My tank hasn't arrived yet. I'm thinking ahead and really like the flowing movements of soft corals and macro algae like "red fern". Can they be kept together successfully after cycling and a stable tank is established? I did spend some time searching, but didn't find this specific question. I will have an Infinia Reef 150.4. (48"x 25" x 21").
Thank you in advance.
Absolutely, this is my 20 long softie / macro tank (30 x 12 x 12"). More of the jungle look, build thread on local forum not r2r.

My advice I wish I knew when starting is use a little less rock and shorter structures than you normally would, because most macros and softies create their own volume. Have little rocks etc for zoa islands, anchor points softies to have some hardscape structure, but you get the idea - growing a 12" tall gorgonian / Sinularia / codium bush goes fast once they get going. Beyond that usual words like go relatively slow at the start, macros do need some stable nutrients, etc.

IMG_7702.jpg

Attachments

• 1729263917789.png
    1729263917789.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

asiu0009083

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, go for it. Like the other commenter said, the water should be a bit dirty. One thing about red macros like Gracilaria tho is that if you ever decide to buy higher light corals, be aware that the light may end up bleaching. Good luck.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, this is my 20 long softie / macro tank (30 x 12 x 12"). More of the jungle look, build thread on local forum not r2r.

My advice I wish I knew when starting is use a little less rock and shorter structures than you normally would, because most macros and softies create their own volume. Have little rocks etc for zoa islands, anchor points softies to have some hardscape structure, but you get the idea - growing a 12" tall gorgonian / Sinularia / codium bush goes fast once they get going. Beyond that usual words like go relatively slow at the start, macros do need some stable nutrients, etc.

IMG_7702.jpg
Wow I love your tank! I want a similar look with mine eventually, but also filled with NPS corals

OP
OP
Chemjab

Chemjab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current macro setup. my tanks are connected, side-by-side, with two pumps to exchange water between them. basically a manual sump.
731416132603815166.jpeg
1682964803743639855.jpeg

the GSP is closed still because the lights just came on. also, excuse the big glob of superglue in the gsp colony, i saw an aptasia and wanted to make sure it was the last time lol. i’ll be adding more zoas though as my frags grow more
This is a cool idea. I like it much more than tumbling mass of macro in a refugium.

OP
OP
Chemjab

Chemjab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7702.jpg
This is how I would like one section, or side, of my tank to look. I will heed your advice about lower rocks in that area. On the other side I envision a larger rock formations with sofies and zoa. I will go slow. Great job!

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow I love your tank! I want a similar look with mine eventually, but also filled with NPS corals
Thanks! I would looking forward to seeing that. I think Subsea has something similar on that. NPS take a little too much maintenance for me, the softie / macro is soooo easy all I need to do is throw pellets and whatever frozen in for the clowns and goby, clean glass, and give away handfuls of macro every couple months. But that would be a really great look with NPS in there too.

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I would looking forward to seeing that. I think Subsea has something similar on that. NPS take a little too much maintenance for me, the softie / macro is soooo easy all I need to do is throw pellets and whatever frozen in for the clowns and goby, clean glass, and give away handfuls of macro every couple months. But that would be a really great look with NPS in there too.
i used to have a carnation coral and a really cool sponge that i loved feeding every day! i’d love to add seahorses or a cuttlefish to the tank eventually, but they’re a lot of work. but if i do NPS, i might as well go all out

OP
OP
Chemjab

Chemjab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with a lot of folks that it is very definitely possible. You can even have some LPS if you want. Here is a video of my high nutrient macroalgea display.

This is so cool! I love all the different colors and textures coupled with the swaying. You did a nice job narrating the video, that is helpful. I missed the name of one fish that I really like the look of. The dark blue with the golden belly that stretches up the sides. What is it?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back