Low nutrient system with algae outbreak

leebell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a water box marine x 110.4, it’s been up and running for almost 6 months now.
My parameters are
Alkalinity :8.3
Magnesium 1320
Calcium : 440
Nitrate: 0
Phosphates 0

There has been a decent amount of brown algae blooming on my sand bed and on my rockwork.
I have a Refugium that I was running 24/7 until I realized how little nutrients were available in my tank. I have since shut it down till I see nutrients start to rise.
Usually it seems that a refugium should stop an algae out break but that seems to not be what happened.
Has anyone else had a brown hair like algae outbreak and if so what are some tips on beating it ?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any other details,, I suggest you feed more to increase your nitrate & phosphate,

Better describe your setup including CUC and your maintenance. A picture with white light would help.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it seems that a refugium should stop an algae out break but that seems to not be what happened.
Might be a refugium myth.

Nitrate depleted systems typically move from growing green stuff to growing golden to brown stuff. Typically, you will receive advice to increase the nitrogen level in the system to grow green stuff rather thsn brown stuff. You will still have an algae problem but it might be more appetizing to herbivores.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a water box marine x 110.4, it’s been up and running for almost 6 months now.
My parameters are
Alkalinity :8.3
Magnesium 1320
Calcium : 440
Nitrate: 0
Phosphates 0

There has been a decent amount of brown algae blooming on my sand bed and on my rockwork.
I have a Refugium that I was running 24/7 until I realized how little nutrients were available in my tank. I have since shut it down till I see nutrients start to rise.
Has anyone else had a brown hair like algae outbreak and if so what are some tips on beating it ?
@leebell
I don’t find refugiums to be good exporters of nutrients. I use them as a refuge from predators and as a source of live food for display tank.

Consider testing for DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon).

“The most straightforward way to monitor the organic carbon in one’s system is to send in a Triton N-DOC test. They are the only company on the market that offers this service. Due to everything discussed in this article, monitoring DOC may be the most critical value to chase above pH and traces“

https://reefbuilders.com/2024/06/21...y-reef-tank-heres-a-new-method-to-manage-it/“

“In layman’s terms, whenever water on a reef becomes polluted with DOC, a small amount of “sleeper cell” bacteria that typically perform beneficial tasks for the coral become activated like a Manchurian candidate and begin to wreak havoc on the corals, leading to the development of disease. i.e., dirty water = dirty bacteria.“

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back