View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
It's been a long time.
I'm looking to rebuild a rimless tank that was probably built by a hobbyist.
The weird thing is, the bottom of the tank is not flat with the bottom, so the side glass is basically the only thing that supports the entire tank.
Now, i'm looking to tear the glass completely, polish it and build it again.
Is there any reason to build the aquarium the same way? with to bottom glass raised?

Any other advice for first rebuild would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Corals.com
OP
OP
S

schafon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any trim on the bottom? That’s normally how the big box stores come.. rimless not so much.. what size is the tank? And what’s making you wanna rebuild it?
No trim on the bottom, I think it like 6 feet by 18 inch, by 18 inch.
I currently have 120 that is not rimless, and looking to move everything from the 120 to this after the rebuild.
I want to rebuild it since other rimless tanks are expensive as hell, this one I can get for 100$
Now that you mentioned that this is how big box aquariums come, I'm worried that it might be a big store aqurium that had plastic trim at some point. I'll check the glass thickness to verify that

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No trim on the bottom, I think it like 6 feet by 2 feet, by (I think) 18 inch.
I currently have 120 that is not rimless, and looking to move everything from the 120 to this after the rebuild.
I want to rebuild it since other rimless tanks are expensive as hell, this one I can get for 100$
Are you sure someone didn't de-trim a rimmed tank? Just curious

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No trim on the bottom, I think it like 6 feet by 2 feet, by (I think) 18 inch.
I would rebuild it so the bottom is flush. If I am understanding your description correctly, in my years in the hobby I have seen a few custom tanks built in this fashion, particularly older rimless tanks where the builder would make some sort of cushion or raised part on the stand underneath the tank. The result is you could build a very flush stand that lined up with the edges of the glass. However since those stands were typically made of particle board rather than wood, the custom tanks likely outlasted the custom matching stands.

Avast

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have de-rimmed tanks and never seen that elevated bottom, but I have seem some tanks purposely built that was. Think LifeGard made some small betta tanks like this as well.
I know there used to be debate when rimless tanks first became a thing, about whether the bottom glass should bear weight. Some concern about pressure spots between the glass and stand possibly leading to cracks. On rimmed tanks this was obviously not an issue as the weight was on the bottom edge trim. Perhaps this tank was an early and unguided attempt at tackling that concern

OP
OP
S

schafon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've check the required glass thickness for this size of tank and It looks like it's ok (0.5 inch all over)
I will go flush bottom.

There is only one hole for the overflow, I'm considering making another one for the return pump, what do you guys think?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back