+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CD3E530A-9AE1-4C3D-9BFC-37FA0F869D85.jpeg

Can anyone explain the lighting situation for most deep water fish¿¿ I see that the smaller “Pygmy” and/or uniquely colored types of saltwater fish (^^Butterfly, Possum Wrasses, Pygmy Hawkfish, Basslets) are deep water so I’m curious if I can still grow coral when taking precautions for a low light situation. Anyone owned this fish¿ Temperament with similar to smaller sized fish¿¿

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2591470
Can anyone explain the lighting situation for most deep water fish¿¿ I see that the smaller “Pygmy” and/or uniquely colored types of saltwater fish (^^Butterfly, Possum Wrasses, Pygmy Hawkfish, Basslets) are deep water so I’m curious if I can still grow coral when taking precautions for a low light situation. Anyone owned this fish¿ Temperament with similar to smaller sized fish¿¿
Personally I don’t change my lighting for deep water species unless they’re found at depths where light is VERY minimal. Personally I find fish will do anything to survive - as with any animal, even plants will do anything to survive. I have some deep water fish and they have acclimated perfectly to
These fish include/included:
- Hoplolatilus chlupatyi
- Genicanthus melanospilos
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia
- Wetmorella tanakai

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Curious to know if the Pseudocheilinops ataenia and Wetmorella tanakai acclimated fairly easy¿ My favorite fish is the Wetmorella albofasciata and I’m wondering if anyone knows what tank size I can get away with if I want to stock either:
#1 A male and a group of female Wetmorella albofasciata
#2 Stock a pair of Wetmorella albofasciata with maybe one more 2-3 inch fish
LMK for each since I can’t decide for the life of me.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Curious to know if the Pseudocheilinops ataenia and Wetmorella tanakai acclimated fairly easy¿ My favorite fish is the Wetmorella albofasciata and I’m wondering if anyone knows what tank size I can get away with if I want to stock either:
#1 A male and a group of female Wetmorella albofasciata
#2 Stock a pair of Wetmorella albofasciata with maybe one more 2-3 inch fish
LMK for each since I can’t decide for the life of me.
How many fish in the group?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely 3-4 since I’ve read to keep a male with a “group” of females but... wait do you think I would be more vulnerable to aggression in the tank if it was 2 females¿
Do you think I could get away with both number 1 and 2 options with a Fiji cube 48 gallon (less pricey in total but less space) or a Fiji cube 81 (more pricey in total but more space)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely 3-4 since I’ve read to keep a male with a “group” of females but... wait do you think I would be more vulnerable to aggression in the tank if it was 2 females¿
Personally I think you’d be best going for a group of all juveniles/young specimens. With 3-4 and 2-3 other fish I’d say 2’ cube minimum, 3’x2’x2’ best IMO. Others may say otherwise though.

As for how did they establish, well if this helps I have had my pink streak for 2 years and my possum was around for just under a year before the urchin decides to take a nice meal (I still hate that urchin to this day - It’s in my 4’ tank).

OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think you’d be best going for a group of all juveniles/young specimens. With 3-4 and 2-3 other fish I’d say 2’ cube minimum, 3’x2’x2’ best IMO. Others may say otherwise though.

As for how did they establish, well if this helps I have had my pink streak for 2 years and my possum was around for just under a year before the urchin decides to take a nice meal (I still hate that urchin to this day - It’s in my 4’ tank).
I’m gonna pour one out for your possum wrasse RIP. I’ll go with the 81 Gallon Fiji cube (35.3”x23.62”x22.44”) unless space in the new apartment says otherwise then the 60g cube (2’X2’x2’) THANKS YOU (I’m beyond indecisive)
BUT now idk what to stock. Taking your advice I’m thinking:
Option A:
-1 male juv. Wetmorella albofasciata
-2-3 female juv. Wetmorella albofasciata
-1 Prognathodes aculeatus (introduced last)
Option B:
- (Pair) 2 Wetmorella albofasciata
- 1 Prognathodes aculeatus
- 1 Plectranthias inermis
Option C:
-1 Plectranthias inermis (Introduced last)

Let me know which one smells like it would have the potential to thrive. A is my favorite, B has the most variety, and C is the most reef friendly. Not trying to overstock so let me know if I should just take out the Hawkfish or if I should forget having more than a pair of the white banded possum wrasse. Have to request the fish from the LFS (3-9 weeks to ship) so no rush.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
C

Camaronero

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about 6 months and he did great in normal aquarium lighting and temperature. I unfortunately lost him after velvet got into the tank. Really unique butterfly for sure and id love to get another. View attachment 2591875
:( I don’t wish velvet on anyone’s tank, very sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing a photo¡ Did he ever have a taste for any coral (specifically any LPS & Mushrooms) or invertebrate in your tank¿ Also do they really only grow 4” in length¿¿

Sorry for bothering with all the questions there’s only a small amount of care information for these fish.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( I don’t wish velvet on anyone’s tank, very sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing a photo¡ Did he ever have a taste for any coral (specifically any LPS & Mushrooms) or invertebrate in your tank¿ Also do they really only grow 4” in length¿¿

Sorry for bothering with all the questions there’s only a small amount of care information for these fish.
Yeah that run in with velvet kicked off my quarantine routine for sure. Never again. But he was actually great with corals, even my feather duster worms. He did nip on the clam here and there but never did any serious damage.

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna pour one out for your possum wrasse RIP. I’ll go with the 81 Gallon Fiji cube (35.3”x23.62”x22.44”) unless space in the new apartment says otherwise then the 60g cube (2’X2’x2’) THANKS YOU (I’m beyond indecisive)
BUT now idk what to stock. Taking your advice I’m thinking:
Option A:
-1 Prognathodes aculeatus (introduced last)
Option B:
- (Pair) 2 Wetmorella albofasciata
- 1 Prognathodes aculeatus
- 1 Plectranthias inermis
Option C:
-1 Plectranthias inermis (Introduced last)

Let me know which one smells like it would have the potential to thrive. A is my favorite, B has the most variety, and C is the most reef friendly. Not trying to overstock so let me know if I should just take out the Hawkfish or if I should forget having more than a pair of the white banded possum wrasse. Have to request the fish from the LFS (3-9 weeks to ship) so no rush.
I’d recommend going with option B since it has the most variation but also I’m pretty sure (Will do more research in this for you) that these are much like Ctenochaetus and prefer to be in pairs instead of multiples like the larger wrasses do.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back