Live rock

andy6978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this Iv had fluval 13.5 with no issues to speak of except for algae in the beginning. I’m going to 100 gal tank and was wondering if I could use this rock the previous owner used
IMG_1867.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this Iv had fluval 13.5 with no issues to speak of except for algae in the beginning. I’m going to 100 gal tank and was wondering if I could use this rock the previous owner used
IMG_1867.jpeg
I see no issues with using it, how long has it been sitting outside of a tank?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's free to you, I'd take it and cook it until you can confirm there isn't a bunch of phosphates bound up in it. That may add some time to your overall process, but worth it in the long-run.

If you have to pay for it, I'd just make sure you are getting a good price for it.

OP
OP
A

andy6978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came with the tank I’m starting with new live sand . Don’t know if I messed up but someone suggested bleaching. I did and have rinsed very very well and soaked about 4 different times with declorinator and have sun dried them . They were free with the tank

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always put used rocks into a bucket of bleach water (some use muractic acid) which melts out all the dead micro-organisms inside the rock, with a powerhead, usually 4-5 days is sufficient. Don't just soak the rocks, put a powerhead in there to move the water.

After bleaching, put in a rodi water bucket with a powerhead. I do a rodi water change after a few days, careful to rinse all the bleach out. Don't use tap water, that has more stuff that might leach back into the rock.

Some call this process cooking, some call this curing, but it means removing all organic waste from the rock.

Once thats done put it in some new saltwater to test if phosphates are leaching from the rocks. If yes, then use a liquid phosphate remover like phosphate-e to suck out the phosphate, keep adding and testing until the rocks stop leaching.

Once thats all done you've got perfectly white sterile rocks. Good luck

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came with the tank I’m starting with new live sand . Don’t know if I messed up but someone suggested bleaching. I did and have rinsed very very well and soaked about 4 different times with declorinator and have sun dried them . They were free with the tank
That all sounds like a great start!

EDIT: Mr Mojo beat me to it - love everything he wrote :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back