Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock shipped in water would be my go-to, particularly for a small tank. The difference is substantial. Coraline doesn't turn white and die off, sponges and other cryptic life survives much better, and there is little die-off overall. There won't be much of an ammonia spike or nitrogen cycle. All that is required is a tank with stable salinity and temperature. If you have an airport close by, even if you have to drive a little bit, shipped in water is the way to go.

I'd order a lot of base rock and just a little of the premium rock. Live sand is a great way to provide diversity also, but be advised it isn't fine white sand. TBS has a package that might be good for your Nano. @LiverockRocks is a good contact for questions.
I’m looking into TBS, I really do like their website, very descriptive, plus all that you mentioned is at a reasonable price for my 14 gal, plus they’d ship me 20 Lbs which is more than enough.

mis it worth to QT fish, if I plan on adding LR ?

Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into TBS, I really do like their website, very descriptive, plus all that you mentioned is at a reasonable price for my 14 gal, plus they’d ship me 20 Lbs which is more than enough.

mis it worth to QT fish, if I plan on adding LR ?
The simple answer is yes. It is pretty easy to set up a QT tank for the small fish you'll have in your 20 gallon.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet paper requires curing. There is going to be a lot more die-off than if shipped in water. I've started more than half a dozen tanks over the past 10+ years with Tampa Bay Saltwater, and the rock and sand always goes straight into the tank and then fish and coral can start going in just days later. Never even had an ammonia spike. Just starts producing nitrates. I just got another shipment last week if you want to check out my current tank build.
I’ll definitely check out the build thread. I wish I could add coral the next day too, I promised myself I would empty the pockets from the get go.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple answer is yes. It is pretty easy to set up a QT tank for the small fish you'll have in your 20 gallon.
I have before and definitely plan to. It’s very cheap, all it takes is simple WC, weekly test of Cu, and patience.

I’m I’m not mistaken, can’t LR carry fish parasites as well?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get a clear plastic storage container from Walmart, set it near a window. With Air Pump, and a Couple Sponge Air Driven Filters. Heater set to 74-75 ish. Put Blue Masking Tape on the Side, at Water Level, and Maintain that Level with RO/DI. It’s Extremely Rare, to get a Fish in the Rock. If so I wouldn’t worry about Ich. Most of the Ich on Saltwater Fish, comes from Shipping, Handling, coupled with stress. When I was a Teen, and Collected my own Fish, never had Ich.
Awesome advice. I plan on adding the rock straight into my tank.

maybe LR doesn’t carry ich like I believe they could. Perhaps the critters on them IDK.

if someone more experienced can aid me in this thought process I’d be more than happy to implement a QT process. Rather spend the extra hundred on a set up than spend hundredS on future probs

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely check out the build thread. I wish I could add coral the next day too, I promised myself I would empty the pockets from the get go.
With TBS rocks you can add coral. I put an octospawn, trachy and palys/zoas in on Day 1. Trachy got chewed up by rogue sexy shrimp, but the Octo is super healthy and the palys have taken over their rock. Never saw any effects of the chemistry of the new rocks on the new corals. Probably wouldn't add anything super sensitive like acros, though, since you might get some nutrient swings.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With TBS rocks you can add coral. I put an octospawn, trachy and palys/zoas in on Day 1. Trachy got chewed up by rogue sexy shrimp, but the Octo is super healthy and the palys have taken over their rock. Never saw any effects of the chemistry of the new rocks on the new corals. Probably wouldn't add anything super sensitive like acros, though, since you might get some nutrient swings.
I only plan adding LPS to my reef. That’s awesome ! I do think I’m going to pull the trigger on TBS !

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only plan adding LPS to my reef. That’s awesome ! I do think I’m going to pull the trigger on TBS !
You won't get ich, velvet, brook or coral parasites from our products.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back