+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there R2R!

wanted to post a thread as I’m currently deciding on purchasing LR.

I’ve heard LR delivered via wet paper required curing. How have you guys gone about this in your experience?

delivery in water, did you guys cure as well or add straight to the tank?

also, I plan on doing some remodeling here at home so I won’t be able to set up my nano in the next 2 months, however I’d like to go ahead order the rock.

in the meanwhile, I was planning on adding the rock to a 5 g bucket, phantom feeding, and doing weekly water changes while I inspect the rock of corals. I also plan on letting the LR fallow in case of ich.

does this sound like a practical approach while I can get the tank set up for fishes ( which will be QT’d by me )

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had live rock delivered several times over the years and I have never heard of rock delivered in water.
The shipping bill on it must be huge.

Where did you see rock delivered in water?

All live rock deliveries I have had, have been with the rock wrapped in wet paper.
Real live rock ( harvested out of the ocean ) with everything on it needs curing.
Probably the earliest delivery of real ocean harvested rock I've had was early 90's

I've had several deliveries of a man made rock called Real Reef rock that has been cycled in curing vats.
That I just dumped in a tub/containers and added extra bacteria to and let it settle out.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I've picked up rock wrapped in paper. Even after a little over 24 hours of being out of water, all the little critters on it were fine. I'm sure that rock shipped in water would have even better survival, but both should work well. An exception would be if there were sponges or coral on the rock, in which case water might be the better route.

strawberryfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 My Gulf live rock came in a bag with wet paper, a bit of water in the bag but not much. Virtually everything survived shipment, serpent stars the size of my hand, decorator crabs, clams, even sponges. everything you'd expect to be sensitive to shipment was fine. Just inspected for baddies and added straight to tank.
As far as leaving it in a bucket for that long I might worry about anything that is photosynthetic or requires large amounts of nutrients in the water like clams, and feather dusters. Managing nutrients and providing light in a bucket may prove difficult but not impossible.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 My Gulf live rock came in a bag with wet paper, a bit of water in the bag but not much. Virtually everything survived shipment, serpent stars the size of my hand, decorator crabs, clams, even sponges. everything you'd expect to be sensitive to shipment was fine. Just inspected for baddies and added straight to tank.
As far as leaving it in a bucket for that long I might worry about anything that is photosynthetic or requires large amounts of nutrients in the water like clams, and feather dusters. Managing nutrients and providing light in a bucket may prove difficult but not impossible.
How do ? I would be convinced that all that would be needed would be SW, Heater, Powerhead, and some nutrients such as food.

What would be considered photosynthetic in a LR. I don’t plan on buying any LR with Macro.

i was convinced some companies ship in water as I’ve seen on some YT vids

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I've picked up rock wrapped in paper. Even after a little over 24 hours of being out of water, all the little critters on it were fine. I'm sure that rock shipped in water would have even better survival, but both should work well. An exception would be if there were sponges or coral on the rock, in which case water might be the better route.
Would I be able to keep LR in a bucket and perhaps keep everything surviving ? I only plan on buying 15 lbs.

I’m curious if this would be a viable option as I would like to get LR soon in order to inspect and get the LR going as I get remodeling done .

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had live rock delivered several times over the years and I have never heard of rock delivered in water.

All live rock deliveries I have had, have been with the rock wrapped in wet paper.
Real live rock ( harvested out of the ocean ) with everything on it needs curing.
Probably the earliest delivery of real ocean harvested rock I've had was early 90's

I've had several deliveries of a man made rock called Real Reef rock that has been cycled in curing vats.
That I just dumped in a tub/containers and added extra bacteria to and let it settle out.
Do you believe this would be a viable approach for weeks end? How could I keep the nutrients up? I’m sure it’s as phantom feeding or ami wrong ?

great to know. I was under a wrong impression I suppose. What companies would you recommend if you don’t mind me asking ?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Mr Fishface

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there R2R!

I’ve heard LR delivered via wet paper required curing. How have you guys gone about this in your experience?

also, I plan on doing some remodeling here at home so I won’t be able to set up my nano in the next 2 months, however I’d like to go ahead order the rock.

in the meanwhile, I was planning on adding the rock to a 5 g bucket, phantom feeding, and doing weekly water changes while I inspect the rock of corals. I also plan on letting the LR fallow in case of ich.

does this sound like a practical approach while I can get the tank set up for fishes ( which will be QT’d by me )
Sounds like you're essentially going to be curing the rock anyway with the bucket setup you've got planned... if there is any die off, it will be taken care of before you put it in your tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got TBS live rock and sand in water, picked up at the airport (sent same day from FL to CA). Went right into the tank. Zero die-off. Even the sponges made it for a while and those adapted to my light and system survive and grow. Bill was large but its been a year and I don't care anymore--I loved having everything so fresh and alive.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you believe this would be a viable approach for weeks end? How could I keep the nutrients up? I’m sure it’s as phantom feeding or ami wrong ?

great to know. I was under a wrong impression I suppose. What companies would you recommend if you don’t mind me asking ?
For keeping rock alive in a barrel or vat? Yeah it will last, and light additions of food helps feed the bacteria.
As far as live rock these days, I only know of one company that harvest gulf rock. Tampa Bay saltwater.
I think there may be a couple outlets for Australia live rock. But it's way expensive.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can’t speak for OP, though to my knowledge, when it comes to gulf rock, Tampa Bay Saltwater only offers submerged rock; KP Aquatics and Salty Bottom Reef Company offer options for submerged rock and paper-wrapped rock; and Gulf Live Rock and Live Rock n Reef only offer paper-wrapped rock.
@LiverockRocks

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t speak for OP, though to my knowledge, when it comes to gulf rock, Tampa Bay Saltwater only offers submerged rock; KP Aquatics and Salty Bottom Reef Company offer options for submerged rock; and Gulf Live Rock and Live Rock n Reef offer moist rock wrapped in paper.
@LiverockRocks
I did not know that. Actually shipped in bag of water . Hmm. Still, the water plus rock weight must be spendy.
I guess it is true ( mostly) about learning something new everyday.

Thanks for the info.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBS live rocks is shipped completely submerged in water picked up at the airport via next day air. And yes it's expensive. I paid almost 1k for 80 pounds , live sand and snails. That price includes the airfreight

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefcleaners

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey there R2R!

That sounds like a plan if you want cured rock. Is it possible to get a light over it though? That is a long time, you may lose the coralline.

I would feed for what you want to keep after observing what life is there and then targeting it. Current will help a lot, even a small air stone. Otherwise you will lose the life that relies on moving water like feather dusters etc...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there R2R!

The wet paper towel had a harsh ammonia spike from die off and I did many daily 100 percent water changes in a tote. It was sent overnight but there was lots of die off off bigger organisms. Dead starfish in the rock and dead crabs mostly.

You don’t need to phantom feed, there is plenty of debris and stuff for the worms and pods. Bacteria will be fine too.

Putting in a 5g for awhile means the rock will not have light, even if you add a light, the rock will be stacked on each other blocking light. So photosynthetic organisms will die :(

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back