+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Hoping to strike up a conversation about lineage of corals.

Is the lineage of corals important?
Should the lineage of corals raise the value/interest of corals?

I have started to hear this word more often and just want to get peoples thoughts on it. Why would it be important to you to know the lineage of corals?

For me, I really dont think about these things when it comes to buying/trading coral. I just but to have. I guess it would be kinda cool to know some things about the stuff I am buying however.

Thoughts?

Top Shelf Aquatics

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the only real benefit would be if you are ****** at coloring something up but want to keep selling it on at the colored up (3 or more figures) price anyway, in a "trust me, it's this hyped variety" way. But without stamp and signature and personal data of the people that sold it to you, that's still just trust. And really only a benefit to you, not the buyer, you could sell it for less instead.

Another would be to raise the price for the sake of raising the price, demanding a premium for the certificate.

And lastly,and what I think is the completely wrong direction: let's take zoas for example. It can happen that 10 vendors import the same variety, and invent 10 names with their own brand. With lineage, you'd have proof which of those brands you happen to be a customer of, if it makes you proud for some reason to have the one imported from vendor A instead of vendor B for some reason. The better solution is that we as a community say that all 10 are the same and collapse them all into one name. Better for the hobby, but destroys the branding of the sellers, "bad" for them.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might from an epidemiological standpoint if we're encouraging the spread of a monotype. I understand that Grube's gorgonian has spread from one (and only one) specimen that was collected in 1990. If true, that means that there's little to no genetic variation in aquarium stock...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I for one am all about the lowering of prices, but like said with all the fancy names coming about I dont think that will happen.

I was going thru the for-sale side of the house, and I see a few posts that said "proven Lineage" which has got me thinking about it. Not to discredit any of those sales, was just wondering if that would be the direction the hobby is going.

I also seen some posts about the late great Jake Adams, where some wanted to name some corals after him. Which I think would be a super cool idea. But I wonder if some would start selling the "Named pieces" at an even higher premium. (Proceeds maybe go to the family or a charity). I have watched so many YOUTUBE videos and I would love to have corals from people on YouTube for sure. The Sanjay xxxx or the Jake Adams xxxx I think would be kind of neat. But I don't know if they should fetch a higher price unless again, part of the proceeds was going to benefit the family or charities.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back