LIKELY SICK AZURE DAMSELFISH!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!

twentyfeur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home from a short trip yesterday and thought she was dead as I couldn't find her anywhere, until I found her in a strange cravice she is normally not in. I didn't think much of it, but since then she has constantly been hiding in little caves in my reef and didn't eat after I tried to feed her. She moved to a cave where I could actually see her a bit ago, and I noticed that the front half of her looked very banged up, which led me to think this is likely a disease. Can someone tell me what they think this is and how to fix it?? This fish means a lot to me and I really do not want her to die. Thanks in advance.

(also- I apologise for the poor photos, she is in a place that is not easy to take photos of. If more photos are needed, I can try to supply them.)

image0[1].jpeg image4[1].jpeg image2[1].jpeg

Llyod276

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up twentyfuer. First off, how's the breathing? Second what are your params. Third off, learn these two guys names as they're the experts round these parts. @Jay Hemdal , @vetteguy53081.

Barring disease, could just be some bumps and bruises from finding a new spot. In my daughters experiment tank I put in a blue damsel, as a canary(to see if cycled). Then a few weeks of still living it got all kind of marks and scratches and white spots like color faded away around eyes and mouth. Long story short, He recovered just fine. After slaying two red firefish. Since you were gone, maybe who ever took care of your fish, spooked it. Or it just went on a hiddey hole exploration.

The not eating isn't good. But hey, maybe seeing you will help. Fish do know who you are.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be something bacterial which would warrant a QT tank or a breeder box to put her in with daily baths in antibiotics. I like to use NFG at double strength for baths for 30 min.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
T

twentyfeur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up twentyfuer. First off, how's the breathing? Second what are your params. Third off, learn these two guys names as they're the experts round these parts. @Jay Hemdal , @vetteguy53081.

Barring disease, could just be some bumps and bruises from finding a new spot. In my daughters experiment tank I put in a blue damsel, as a canary(to see if cycled). Then a few weeks of still living it got all kind of marks and scratches and white spots like color faded away around eyes and mouth. Long story short, He recovered just fine. After slaying two red firefish. Since you were gone, maybe who ever took care of your fish, spooked it. Or it just went on a hiddey hole exploration.

The not eating isn't good. But hey, maybe seeing you will help. Fish do know who you are.
Temp is 78f and PPT is at 1.024. She seems to be breathing normally and doesn't seem slow or fatigued. We didn't have someone come feed them as the trip was only for 2 nights. I thought the same thing, as she was in a fairly tight hole when I found her, but seeing as she almost never hides I am still concerned it could be something more serious.

OP
OP
T

twentyfeur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be something bacterial which would warrant a QT tank or a breeder box to put her in with daily baths in antibiotics. I like to use NFG at double strength for baths for 30 min.
We currently do not have a QT tank as we have never needed to use one before. We would be able to buy one tomorrow but it most likely wouldn't be until later in the day. Is it okay to leave her be for a day? I'm not too sure what we would do otherwise, since we wouldn't be able to order one in time and all the nearby fish stores are currently closed. Also, where can we buy NFG powder? And how long should she be left in the QT tank once we get one? Sorry for all the questions!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Llyod276

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a small fish, so dont need to go by a new reef for it. Literally a large bowl with a heater and an airstone will work. Change the water daily, 25%. Or remove the rock. And other thing that the fish could hurt itself on. Vacuum substrate and whala you got a qt. If no corals, put live rock in bucket with an airstone maybe heater...but no itll be fine for a while.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is a little more than a rash and looks more like either bite wounds or bacterial. Assuming there are other tankmates, would you by chance have a clown in the tank?
Also could be associated with water quality. What is your ammonia- nitrate-ph-
And what test kits are you using ?

Llyod276

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little more than a rash and looks more like either bite wounds or bacterial. Assuming there are other tankmates, would you by chance have a clown in the tank?
All you buddy, I'm out.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
To find out if it is aggression, simply take your phone and place in video mode for about an hour at your tank. Drop a little food and walk away
Return in an hour and review video and you’ll see your culprit

OP
OP
T

twentyfeur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, alright. We will still likely go out and buy a small QT tank if it is not urgent to remove her right this moment, as I wouldn't mind having one in case this happens again. We are currently opperating out of a 30 gallon tank, which I think is probably fine for two fish that are under 10 inches. If we decide to use an antibiotic, would we have to put her in and take her out every day or leave her in for multiple days? Thanks for the help!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 OP stated above there is one clown in the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OP
OP
T

twentyfeur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do have a clown in the tank, however they have gotten along fairly well in the 6+ years we've had the two of them. They mostly tend to leave each other alone, so I don't really think it is aggression? I will test the ammonia/nitrate in a sec, but we typically use Giesemann Aquaristic tests.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We currently do not have a QT tank as we have never needed to use one before. We would be able to buy one tomorrow but it most likely wouldn't be until later in the day. Is it okay to leave her be for a day? I'm not too sure what we would do otherwise, since we wouldn't be able to order one in time and all the nearby fish stores are currently closed. Also, where can we buy NFG powder? And how long should she be left in the QT tank once we get one? Sorry for all the questions!

This is it here:

Obviously with shipping there will be a delay. This is another treatment for bacterial infections using three meds called the trifecta. You may be able to find them locally although I believe furan 2 hasn’t been shipping out for awhile.

OP
OP
T

twentyfeur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every test showed the levels to be very low. If it is a wound, how can I help her recover? I'm still doubtful of it being a grave wound due to them never really bothering one another, but I am not ruling it out as a possibility.

Also, thank you user Tamberav for the med suggestions. Do you know if there are any downsides to using it if she ends up not being sick? As in, if it is just a wound, would it have any negative side effects?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back