Lighting suggestions/question

ReefinDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening fellow reefers!

My question for you all is, does the brand of lighting/spectrum make a noticeable difference for coral growth?

I have a 125 g 6’ long that I have been playing with for a year and a half. Lighting it is (2) nicrew hyperreef 100 watt and (1) nicrew hyperreef 150 watt in the center.

I have noticed the corals open up and seem happy but not noticing much growth per se.

I went to a local guy to buy frags and he had kessil lights on his and said he noticed a huge difference in growth rates within 2 weeks.

I currently have a handful of zoas,toadstool,chalice,and acros

Just wanting to get opinions before I shell out thousands on lighting. Also open to hear what lighting you guys have on a tank this size.

I have yet to rent a par meter and check. Would this be a good first step before buying lights?
Thanks!

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening fellow reefers!

My question for you all is, does the brand of lighting/spectrum make a noticeable difference for coral growth?

I have a 125 g 6’ long that I have been playing with for a year and a half. Lighting it is (2) nicrew hyperreef 100 watt and (1) nicrew hyperreef 150 watt in the center.

I have noticed the corals open up and seem happy but not noticing much growth per se.

I went to a local guy to buy frags and he had kessil lights on his and said he noticed a huge difference in growth rates within 2 weeks.

I currently have a handful of zoas,toadstool,chalice,and acros

Just wanting to get opinions before I shell out thousands on lighting. Also open to hear what lighting you guys have on a tank this size.

I have yet to rent a par meter and check. Would this be a good first step before buying lights?
Thanks!
You didn't mention how you have your lights set like duration, dimming, channel percentages, and
how high they are set.

Renting a car meter is less than $1000 ;)
Lighting isn't always the cause of slow growth.

OP
OP
ReefinDad

ReefinDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention how you have your lights set like duration, dimming, channel percentages, and
how high they are set.

Renting a car meter is less than $1000 ;)
Lighting isn't always the cause of slow growth.

I apologize.

- 11 hours a day.
- 60% B - 15% W
- Set 8” above the water

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize.

- 11 hours a day.
- 60% B - 15% W
- Set 8” above the water
No need to apologize..
Anyways so height seems good if your tank is like 18-20 wide.
8 leds on the "white" channel, 16 on the "blue" channel
That's per puck.
Guessing about 16w on the white, 36 w on the blue.
24.3 w per puck.. x 7 = 170 watts over a 125gal tank

Since I'm not going to advise on par or growth just on overall delivery.. if your tank is wider than 20" I'd raise the lights a bit to increase distribution at the water surface.
Like to10".

This thread has a nice par map for a single 150.. Hung 9" above water surface.
If my guesses are right.. use 50%
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/build-thread-spinoff-1-nicrew-150-par-test.954254/
I don't think your growth problem is a lack of par, or spectrum (debateable)..BUT I'll let others guess at that.
screen-shot-2022-12-15-at-10-18-57-pm-png.2936174

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a tank for over 25 years now and I'm a huge believer in not reinventing the wheel but rather just copying others success. Below is my 240 over the years and a link to 3 different threads. The first is my early attempt at a nano wherein my coral growth was non-existant even though the parameters were exactly the same as my larger 240. The only difference was light. The next 2 are examples of current tanks run with T5s. My point here is I believe T5s make growing colorful coral much easier than using LEDs. Not arguing LEDs can't do the job just saying it's way easier with T5s in combination with LEDs. My recommendation is to install dual 36 inch Hybrids, combine them with your current 100 watt LEDs, and sell the 150 watt LED.

My Nano with Slow Growth
T5 Tank 1
T5 Tank 2

Hybrids

My old 240 at it's zenith grown under Radium metal halides:

2011.Zenith.jpg

My tank in 2017 grown under T5s:
2017.Zenith.JPG

My tank in 2023 grown under T5s:

reef.8.23.jpg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back