Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! just had a quick question, I've had a 6ft 125 g reef tank for probably two years now running on some black boxes from amazon these ones to be more specific Amazon black boxes . However now I feel like the lights are getting dimmer and I dont know whether I should invest in 3 more of these lights or if I should invest it in something more expensive. However I do not have a lot of knowledge of lighting in general. I plan on keeping some sps soon and probably a maxima clam in the near future. I would appreciate the help. I was looking into these https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-coral-cover-hybrid-led-light-fixture-aquatic-life.html

but the largest size they have them in is 48". I doubt that could be enough to light my entire tank, or would it? any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

nbooks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 0

ikaros70

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Viparspectra’s over my 210, 6’ tank.
You don’t necessarily have to have one 6’ fixture.
You can purchase 3-4 smaller ones and hang them over the tank.
You can get away with 3 Viparspectra’s but 4 will give you better spread.
Swapping out the lenses to 120* will also give you better spread, I would highly recommend this, especially if you end up going with 3 across the top of tank.
I wouldn’t recommend buying another phlison if your already having issues with them after only 2 years.
You can even purchased used Viparspectra’s off here and/or eBay, etc. for about what you’ll pay for those phlison.
I have had both and Viparspectra is the better light fixture.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to disagree with getting more black boxes. I started with them and will never own again. They're cheap because they make your tank look awful imo. I switched to Kessil and the difference is night and day. That being said, the visual effect is the only drawback. They do grow coral.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back