Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone- I am looking to light my 40 breeder. After watching a sickening number of hours of youtube and bulk reef supply videos I have pretty much decided that I would like to go with Aqua Illumination for my lights. I plan on doing a mixed reef as this is what I had in the past, however I would like the ability to scale up to a more sps dominated tank if I do well with some lower light sps at the start.

My problem is I cant decide whether to start off with Ai Hydra 32s or Ai primes. Endgame would be either three Hydra 32's or 6 primes to get ridiculous light coverage for an sps dominated tank.To start out however I would be starting with either 3 primes or 2 hydra 32's and then working my way up if my coral choices demand more light

So to start :
Option A - double hydra 32

Ai - hydra 32 double sideways.png

Or option B - Triple primes
Ai - prime triple.png

And for an SPS dominated tank
Option C - Triple hydra 32's
Ai - hydra 32 triple sideways.png

Option D - 6 Primes
Ai - prime six.png

Option E- 4 Ai Primes - should cover light spread, but is it enough par?
Ai - prime quad.png

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the two hydras for now I had the primes wasn’t a huge fan, of your serious about sps I would consider a t5 fixture. Love my sunpowers!

OP
OP
odyssey350kc

odyssey350kc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the two hydras for now I had the primes wasn’t a huge fan, of your serious about sps I would consider a t5 fixture. Love my sunpowers!

I did consider T5's, and who knows what the future will hold. However the cost of bulbs every year, and added electrical costs, and lack of dimming just pushed me towards led. I do like the method I see some people trying with using Led strips to essentially replicate the even spread of light supplied by T5's.

Would I be wrong to assume that I would be able to determine whether or not I have the skill to keep some sps with a few Ai led fixtures?

If it turns out I could keep my water stable enough to keep sps for an extended period I would be far more likely to invest in T5's knowing that it would only benefit the larger colonies.

Thanks!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back