Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An employee told me yesterday that Copperband butterflies will eat/need nori. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Mine would pick at the nori on the rock all the time. I just blend it in with the food now. Yes, I did make a clip of it.

cbb.jpg

As for bad advice, back in the 80s. Fish don't outgrow their tank.

As for today, bad advice? There is no advice. if I ask for advice, I get the shoulder shrug. LFS employees don't even know what vermetid snails are.
Not a lot of reefers in the area I live in, I guess.

Don't pop that bubble algae it will spread.
There maybe or maybe no truth to that. I had a foxface that ate everything. Including bubble algae. After a year in a half after rehoming the foxface, bubble algae is now all over the bottom of my rocks. If I get rid of my copperband butterfly, I am sure aiptasia would sprout up everywhere.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would pick at the nori on the rock all the time. I just blend it in with the food now. Yes, I did make a clip of it.

View attachment 3140988

As for bad advice, back in the 80s. Fish don't outgrow their tank.

As for today, bad advice? There is no advice. if I ask for advice, I get the shoulder shrug. LFS employees don't even know what vermetid snails are.
Not a lot of reefers in the area I live in, I guess.

There maybe or maybe no truth to that. I had a foxface that ate everything. Including bubble algae. After a year in a half after rehoming the foxface, bubble algae is now all over the bottom of my rocks. If I get rid of my copperband butterfly, I am sure aiptasia would sprout up everywhere.
Maybe but everything I’ve read its been debunked. Pretty sure aptasia comes back unless you cover it up with like a kalk past or glue.

Top Shelf Aquatics

hoffmeyerz

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sure, I've got a bunch of live rock. Just got all these great pieces in. Don't worry that they're still in the box and dry, all that purple color is a special bacteria coating that activates when you put it in the water"
He saw me coming a mile away....I feel so silly thinking back on that now!!

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe but everything I’ve read its been debunked. Pretty sure aptasia comes back unless you cover it up with like a kalk past or glue.
I'm still mixed on these things 50/50 when it comes to valonia ventricosa.

I have manually removed bubble algae in the past without breaking and they never came back. I removed several clumps recently (broke them all removed the skins) and even more are now present.
As for aips, there's still too many reports of them coming back from kalk, aiptasia x, lemon juice, boiling water. Glue seems to handle I guess... I don't know many who used glue.

But to keep on topic, I'm sure plenty of lfs offer bad advice to keep sales going.

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not advice necessarily, but in the early days of inline canister filters (things like nu-clear) one LFS told me that I could get away with a much smaller heater because ‘you only have to heat the small amount of water in the canister’. Oh dear, slept through all your HS science classes apparently ..…

Corals.com

Treefer32

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's worst advice if it's communicating industry standard marketing. Which may be bad or at least, expensive advice. When I setup my 340 I went from a 220 gallon. I've always gone light on heaters. Why waste energy. I did some research and got 2 new 300 watt finex heaters for my 340 + 75 g sump. All the marketing online says I needed at least 2 500- 600 watt heaters. I just had a fellow reefer over looking at my power setup because a breaker kept tripping, and he thought i was crazy for running only 2 x 300 watt heaters. He was running a 2 x 150 watts in his 75. Well, that's what every vendor says you need and you buy it. I don't have any problems keeping my tank at a 77-78 degrees day or night. At night I keep my house around 65 and during the day around 69. The lowest my tank gets is 76.7 and the highest it gets is 78.

I don't heat my water change water and so it's around 67-68 degrees. I've done as much as 140 gallons at once, and sure the tank temp drops to 70 as the water mixes. But even then, within 2-3 hours it's back to 76 - 77.

Marketing to make more money. . . Regardless of the vendor drives me nuts! The hobby is expensive enough!

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"All fish have ich. It just flares up when they get stressed." I.e., no need for quarantine. When pressed about it, he said it was not an infectious disease, which is when I stopped talking, finished the conversation and left.

Note, I have a background in parasitology, albeit human diseases, but to my knowledge ich is not a commensal parasite, and we all know that it is infectious...

Treefer32

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"All fish have ich. It just flares up when they get stressed." I.e., no need for quarantine. When pressed about it, he said it was not an infectious disease, which is when I stopped talking, finished the conversation and left.

Note, I have a background in parasitology, albeit human diseases, but to my knowledge ich is not a commensal parasite, and we all know that it is infectious...
You just started world war III. However, I agree, Ich is a parasite it is transmissible, and will lay eggs that live in the rock / sand for multiple weeks waiting for a host to arrive. However, I do not QT fish. I manage fish. There is some truth to stress breads illness. If fish are in a healthy state they have thicker slime coats that prevent parasitic infections. Not saying it can't happen, but reduces changes. Feeding nutritious food, adequate amounts of veggies, and low aggression environments promotes this thicker slime coat on the fish. When stressed, the slime coat thins and parasites take advantage of the weekness. Even then, the ich can leave the fish and the fish can fully recover if kept healthy during the infection. I'm 90% sure I probably have ich in my tank, however, I have not seen any fish with any signs of it for a couple years now. I've seen fish missing scales because they're dumb and decide to run into my acros while chasing a piece of food...

There's one day I forgot to feed them their daily frozen food. The next day I saw that my blue chromis had some major damage to scales and was hanging out at the top of the tank and almost let me touch him a few times. I thought for sure he was a goner. I resumed normal feedings and fed heaver than usual. And 2-3 weeks later you wouldn't know anything had happened to him. I thought for sure he was gone. I thought about putting him out of his misery. But, nope, just needed food so other fish would stop picking on him. The chromis pretends to be one of my anthias. But they know better...

BRS

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 20 years ago, I opened a pet store to support my new desire to have a reef tank. Unfortunately I went into it with a partner and she turned out to be the most unscrupulous, uncaring person on the planet. She would say or do anything just to sell something to someone. She would tell customers to put anything she could sell them in their take knowing it would kill all the fish so she could sell them more fish. I couldn’t make her change, so I forced a sale of the store. Fortunately it went to a family that cared about pets and the people that bought them.

To(meany)Tang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought back a fish with ich from the lfs and the owner told me "oh its just ich from stress" "good thing you caught it in time" few days later all my fish broke out with ich. Lol

Also I'm still not sure if this is a real thing or another marketing plot but my LFS store sells regular occelaris clowns at double the price and says they are a rare clown that gets thicker black bands next to the white ones because if not I got suckered into that one too lol.

PandorasChalk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We quarantine our inverts in copper for 30 days before displaying"

Yeah? Are those inverts in the room with us right now? Given to me as advice from an Uncle Bills when I was first starting out on helping to prevent disease. I have been in the aquarium hobby for a long time, with a specialty on inverts so I knew BS when I heard it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just started world war III. However, I agree, Ich is a parasite it is transmissible, and will lay eggs that live in the rock / sand for multiple weeks waiting for a host to arrive. However, I do not QT fish. I manage fish. There is some truth to stress breads illness. If fish are in a healthy state they have thicker slime coats that prevent parasitic infections. Not saying it can't happen, but reduces changes. Feeding nutritious food, adequate amounts of veggies, and low aggression environments promotes this thicker slime coat on the fish. When stressed, the slime coat thins and parasites take advantage of the weekness. Even then, the ich can leave the fish and the fish can fully recover if kept healthy during the infection. I'm 90% sure I probably have ich in my tank, however, I have not seen any fish with any signs of it for a couple years now. I've seen fish missing scales because they're dumb and decide to run into my acros while chasing a piece of food...

There's one day I forgot to feed them their daily frozen food. The next day I saw that my blue chromis had some major damage to scales and was hanging out at the top of the tank and almost let me touch him a few times. I thought for sure he was a goner. I resumed normal feedings and fed heaver than usual. And 2-3 weeks later you wouldn't know anything had happened to him. I thought for sure he was gone. I thought about putting him out of his misery. But, nope, just needed food so other fish would stop picking on him. The chromis pretends to be one of my anthias. But they know better...
Yeah, I do not want to start a debate on to QT or not to QT. I think what struck me was the ignorance at the LFS that ich is an infectious disease and not something like fishy hay fever. Would at least appreciate an LFS that knows the basics.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I do not want to start a debate on to QT or not to QT. I think what struck me was the ignorance at the LFS that ich is an infectious disease and not something like fishy hay fever. Would at least appreciate an LFS that knows the basics.
No, I definitely get that! It is definitely not a fishy flue! Ha!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the worse advice an LFS has given you?
Did you know it was bad advice or did they convince you?

Although many years ago,
- Damsels are the best starter fish
- A fish will stay small in a small tank. . . they grow according to tank size
- Lionfish are safe in any tank- just watch for the spines (at least I found they were the best tool to get rid of damsels)
LOL Wish I had of thought about that Lionfish eating damsels trick years ago when I started my first tank with damsels that just would not die even from cycle.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don’t have a home LFS so 90 percent of what I know came from this website and all of my gear came from online. I have to drive so far to get to a brick and mortar store that I only go occasionally and I just pick up a few corals. Not much conversation when I’m there

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back