Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looked like crap. Happened in a week. Sailfin acting weird now too. I don't have a QT so it's fertilizer. Pull or see what happens?

Tank mates are Blue Tang, Angel, clowns.

Ammonia a little high re: skimmer (I think) but that's fixed.

CF806ECD-1675-4A4B-A95B-0CB872A1B614.jpeg 182E9BE0-7BDE-4C6E-A925-273056D0DC6D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6125.MOV
    48.7 MB
Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW
Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He looked like crap. Happened in a week. Sailfin acting weird now too. I don't have a QT so it's fertilizer. Pull or see what happens?

Tank mates are Blue Tang, Angel, clowns.

Ammonia a little high re: skimmer (I think) but that's fixed.

View attachment 3059483 View attachment 3059487
The hepatus tang has cloudy eyes. The Sailfin too has cloudy eyes and shredded fins which are likely a product of aggression. The dots I believe may be Neobendendia flukes or bacterial issue in relation to elevated ammonia. If flukes, some signs you will see are (which some are present) - rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
If neobendendia, Prazi will not work effectively on them but rather fish would have to be quarantined in Hyposalinity of 1.009) .
If bacterial, broad spectrum treatment such as seachem Kanaplex or Ruby rally pro will be treatment but look at symptoms posted and see if any or all apply per your observations

OP
OP
thehippie45

thehippie45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the ammonia I had a recent spike (I'm kind of new to this so bare with me if it doesn't make sense) I think that happened because of adding those two new fish coupled with my skimmer not working for a couple weeks.

Just got a new pump installed and a UV "whatever" pump.

Tank is probably 8-10 years old but my buddy kinda quit doing his job (and I'm glad he did... I love it now).

Those fish are probably a month new and were absolutely gorgeous two weeks ago.

OP
OP
thehippie45

thehippie45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hepatus tang has cloudy eyes. The Sailfin too has cloudy eyes and shredded fins which are likely a product of aggression. The dots I believe may be Neobendendia flukes or bacterial issue in relation to elevated ammonia. If flukes, some signs you will see are (which some are present) - rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
If neobendendia, Prazi will not work effectively on them but rather fish would have to be quarantined in Hyposalinity of 1.009) .
If bacterial, broad spectrum treatment such as seachem Kanaplex or Ruby rally pro will be treatment but look at symptoms posted and see if any or all apply per your observations
This is awesome. Thank you so much. This is way above my level of expertise but from your description it seems to be a fluke.

I have no way to QT. Unfortunately it's try and fix or flush.

Dude is eating a little but definitely is not feeling or looking like the beauty he was.

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is awesome. Thank you so much. This is way above my level of expertise but from your description it seems to be a fluke.

I have no way to QT. Unfortunately it's try and fix or flush.

Dude is eating a little but definitely is not feeling or looking like the beauty he was.
a Qt system can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials. . . . . Petco has all tanks at half price and even a clear rubber maid like tub would suffice.
Last option which is a gamble would be reef safe Ruby Rally pro which is safe with coral and inverts but will be slow to work - Better than flush method

OP
OP
thehippie45

thehippie45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that reply. I've never had a sick fish and definitely don't have the ability at this very moment to do that. I don't want him to make the other fish sick.

That's why I asked.

Hell, I have a Rubbermaid tub. I'll put his butt in there.

BTW I don't suck dude and I guarantee I've done more with catch and release education, wetlands protection and coastal conservation than you and I won't lose sleep getting rid of one fish to save 4.

His name was Pookie.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it's how illness works. Ever get put in a room with someone who has the flu for a week?

Well with fish... think about mosquitos. You're in a room with hundreds of mosquitos, you have no ability to kill them. They are eating you alive, reproducing at mass numbers, so on so forth. Yup... this is the life we offer them. It's our job to "treat" them.

Sailaway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that reply. I've never had a sick fish and definitely don't have the ability at this very moment to do that. I don't want him to make the other fish sick.

That's why I asked.

Hell, I have a Rubbermaid tub. I'll put his butt in there.

BTW I don't suck dude and I guarantee I've done more with catch and release education, wetlands protection and coastal conservation than you and I won't lose sleep getting rid of one fish to save 4.

His name was Pookie.
Pookie is a great name.

World Wide Corals
Top Shelf Aquatics

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The disposal is more fun for sure but it can stink up the house.
The thing is, this isn't just reddit or facebook, this is a small community of passionate hobbyists that tend to care immensely for our aquariums and all the life within. Crass comments like this, while may seem like a simple joke to you, can be fairly disgusting and barbaric to many of us. You wouldn't go onto a dog forum and joke about killing your dog in some over the top manner, for instance.

OP
OP
thehippie45

thehippie45

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone as smart and knowledgeable as you claim to be should know this.
quit being a jerk just to be a jerk
The thing is, this isn't just reddit or facebook, this is a small community of passionate hobbyists that tend to care immensely for our aquariums and all the life within. Crass comments like this, while may seem like a simple joke to you, can be fairly disgusting and barbaric to many of us. You wouldn't go onto a dog forum and joke about killing your dog in some over the top manner, for instance.
Point taken and my apologies to all.

This is a fantastic forum and I've learned a ton from it.

The whole fix or flush deal was crass and I apologize but that was my only recourse at 8pm last night. LFS dude said get it out and I had nowhere to put it.

I will be setting.up a QT tank this afternoon and will be prepared the next time this happens.

I love the hobby and spend a ton of time on it enjoyably.

I just didn't take too well of being told to "leave the hobby" because I didn't have the right equipment to handle something I had no idea would happen and following the advice of my fish guy.

The fish was really, really sick. He wasn't going to make it regardless but that doesn't excuse me being a smartalec and I apologize.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back