Levels are all off - what is my APEX up to??

BRS

jkobel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit that I dont know enough about my Apex, but in my defense, the intent was to set it up once and know that its good and then not need to fiddle with it very much.

I noticed yesterday that my Alk was way off (12.2 on Hanna) and my Ca was too high (463 on Hanna) which was odd as I have been actually underdosing and making up with small additions each week as a safety as opposed to overdosing. So, odd but not like - crazy enough to think there was some mystery to solve. I turned off my BRS dosers on the Apex control panel and was going to let the Alk come down naturally as it typically consumes .34/day. In 4-5 days I would be in my target range. Not ideal, but not the end of the world

Then I went to change the bottles for my trace elements. 2 were totally empty and 2 were not. This is odd since all 4 run the same duration at different times of the day. So, they should get consumed at the same rate.

Now I'm scratching my head.

I look at the power log of my apex and its complete chaos. I have 6 dosers. Alk runs at midnight. Ca runs at 11am. The trace all run for like 45 seconds a day but spread out so they arent running at the same time. This graph makes it seem like everything runs whenever!

What am I missing? this is the last 24 hours and all the pumps have been switched to "off" that whole time so I'm totally confused. Feeling like I currently have no control over things and dont understand what I'm missing

Thx

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.12.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.17.34 PM.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you screw around too much, go out and buy a titration based alkalinity test and recheck. The Hanna alk checker drifts up as the reagent gets old (or almost empty), and I've seen mine off by 3+ dkh at times.

It's not a great device - it's really only useful when you're testing every day and replacing the reagent at least monthly.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

ACC
Back