Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a four month old tank with a couple of clowns, lawnmower blenny and a tomini tang. I wanted to take a shot at putting in my first corals so I grabbed a piece of GSP and a Kenya tree leather frag from my LFS about 5 days ago. The gsp is looking happy. The leather, not so much. It looked ok for a couple of days but it’s now looking very shrivelled up and has been turning dark brown in the middle. I figured both these corals would be newb proof but I guess not! Any ideas what might cause a leather coral to wither away and turn brown like that? My parameters are
Salinity 1.26
Nitrite and ammonia 0
Nitrate 10ppm
PO4 0
Mg 1170
Ca 360
KH 7
pH 8.2

is my tank just too young to support corals yet?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a four month old tank with a couple of clowns, lawnmower blenny and a tomini tang. I wanted to take a shot at putting in my first corals so I grabbed a piece of GSP and a Kenya tree leather frag from my LFS about 5 days ago. The gsp is looking happy. The leather, not so much. It looked ok for a couple of days but it’s now looking very shrivelled up and has been turning dark brown in the middle. I figured both these corals would be newb proof but I guess not! Any ideas what might cause a leather coral to wither away and turn brown like that? My parameters are
Salinity 1.26
Nitrite and ammonia 0
Nitrate 10ppm
PO4 0
Mg 1170
Ca 360
KH 7
pH 8.2

any pictures

Nutramar Foods

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pig's ear lol

IMG_20200413_233756.jpg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Salinity 1.26
Nitrite and ammonia 0
Nitrate 10ppm
PO4 0
Mg 1170
Ca 360
KH 7
pH 8.2

Pics would help but can tell you that they do best at mid tank under moderate to medium flow and moderate light.
mag is low (1300-1350) and salinity 1.025-1.026
temp 77-79

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics would help but can tell you that they do best at mid tank under moderate to medium flow and moderate light.
mag is low (1300-1350) and salinity 1.025-1.026
temp 77-79
This isn’t always true. It highly depends on the species of Leather in question as well as where they’re naturally found, some are best under low light (such as Nepthea) whilst others like the Yellow Fiji (Sarcophyton elegans) love high flow and light which links to their natural origin of being in surge zones quite a bit.

OP
OP
M

MadCaddy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to grab pictures but they came out so blue you couldn’t even see it. Yesterday it took a turn for the worse and seems to have lost all its branches/arms. All that’s left is a stump. Is there anything in particular that might make a coral turn brown/black so quickly? It happened over the course of maybe three or four days after putting it in the tank. It was just a small frag, maybe a couple inches tall/wide.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back