Lanthanum Chloride may kill ick , velvet and lymphocystis!!!

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love for this to be true, however it may just be a coincidence. Crypto is a parasite while lymphocytes is a viral infection. I am hardpressed to believe lanthanum chloride cured both. If it is so potent then I would imagine we would notice significant changes in the biodiversity of our reef tanks.

And both often resolve on their own over the timeframe of the op.
This is a very strong candidate for post hoc ergo propter hoc

Avast

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice significant changes

I have used lanthanum chloride regularly for 3 years on one of my tanks and have not noticed a change in biodiversity compared to the one that does not run it. What changes did you notice?

And both often resolve on their own over the timeframe of the op.
This is a very strong candidate for post hoc ergo propter hoc

I feel this is how garlic and ginger became popular, people saw the lack of white spots and assumed it cured the fish. What they were noticing is just the parasite going through different stages of its life cycle.

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel this is how garlic and ginger became popular, people saw the lack of white spots and assumed it cured the fish. What they were noticing is just the parasite going through different stages of its life cycle.

Exactly. I covered this in this article:
You can change ginger to Lanthanum and it would read very much the same. :D

Top Shelf Aquatics

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used lanthanum chloride regularly for 3 years on one of my tanks and have not noticed a change in biodiversity compared to the one that does not run it. What changes did you notice?

Well the complete removal of po4 is a pretty drastic change in biodiversity. It kills snails as well and damages then. I know if I put too much in mybtank, all my snails are on the sand bed the next day. Also it can dinos from the absence of po4, dead corals, etc.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the complete removal of po4 is a pretty drastic change in biodiversity. It kills snails as well and damages then. I know if I put too much in mybtank, all my snails are on the sand bed the next day. Also it can dinos from the absence of po4, dead corals, etc.

I think the same can be true of any phosphate removal agent. Anything used in extreme will have adverse reactions. I was indicating that I have not noticed change in biodiversity caused by using lanthanum chloride appropriately, as compared to any other phosphate binder.

Top Shelf Aquatics

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah
I think the same can be true of any phosphate removal agent. Anything used in extreme will have adverse reactions. I was indicating that I have not noticed change in biodiversity caused by using lanthanum chloride appropriately, as compared to any other phosphate binder.

Ah, well yes, I have not seen anything either directly related to the chemical itself or the precipitation.

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it at home for the last couple years - testing easy ultra slow dosing (30 ml a day of a 30ml Lanth/3000ml distilled. Seen no biodiversity changes. I have used it for a decade at a public aquarium at different rates - some systems that use it still got ich.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Juan Andrés Botero R

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an single study that it inhibits the production of thioredoxin reductase. Thus could expose a specimen to more oxidative stress? The subject specimen was Giardia. Showed no reduction in GSH the primary defense cells use for removing free radicals.
were you also using hydrogen peroxide during the lanthanum chloride treatment?
Also IF this was the mode of action, could weaken the fish to effects of oxidative stress of its own.

I did not use hydrogen peroxide!, I just wast treating a phosphate spike with LA, 0.1ppm/day!

OP
OP
Juan Andrés Botero R

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LaCL forms flocculate with phosphate, I wonder if it may form flocculate with the Tomites (free floating) stage of ich, essentially disrupting the lifecycle of the organism?

May be!
Any one that has a tank with ick and want to try the treatment?, just has to use it, as I did!, a very, very low dose, equivalent for the one used to drop 0.1ppm/day

DEWreefing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be!
Any one that has a tank with ick and want to try the treatment?, just has to use it, as I did!, a very, very low dose, equivalent for the one used to drop 0.1ppm/day
I use lanthum almost daily and I still have ick so it does not work.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back