Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering changing the lighting schedule on my Kessil Ap9x. I’ve been following the schedule that BRS suggested for the size of tank and type of corals I have., which is color 20%, intensity 100%, UV 100%, red 20% and green 0%. I’ve been dealing with an algae issue. My research tells me that I should change the lighting. My questions are should I keep the same lighting cycle only lower the intensity or should I reduce the amount of time the lights are on with the same intensity? What is a “normal” 24 hour lighting schedule? Thank you…

Eric Cohen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering changing the lighting schedule on my Kessil Ap9x. I’ve been following the schedule that BRS suggested for the size of tank and type of corals I have., which is color 20%, intensity 100%, UV 100%, red 20% and green 0%. I’ve been dealing with an algae issue. My research tells me that I should change the lighting. My questions are should I keep the same lighting cycle only lower the intensity or should I reduce the amount of time the lights are on with the same intensity? What is a “normal” 24 hour lighting schedule? Thank you…
First step maybe to shorten the light cycle.....but without knowing how long? Less intensity could also work....give your tank only what it needs.....if you have high light corals, then maybe some water chemistry is to be considered to help with your algae problems?

Avast

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not change the lights. That is the worst way to solve algae. Why? Because algae is what we are growing inside the corals. Its likely a predation issue.
I agree. I would tackle feeding (nutrient import) and methods of nutrient export first. Herbivores are a great option too. The only reason I would adjust a lighting schedule would be if you incorporate a fuge with macro algae and need to do some balancing with how much par is in the display and how much is in the fuge.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back