Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs love romaine lettuce more so than nori. The beauty of it is it doesn’t soften and float away or get torn when they go all Jaws on it. They have to take distinct individual bites of it to get some so there’s 0 waste.
What nutrition does romaine have compared to nori? My concern was it would supply much

reefingaz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What nutrition does romaine have compared to nori? My concern was it would supply much
It’s pretty decent. Unlike regular lettuce which has little to no nutritional value, romaine does. Here’s the values for humans so for a fish I guess they would be greater. :)

Dietary fiber 1.8 g7%Sugar 1 gProtein 1 g2%
Vitamin C5%Calcium2%
Iron4%Vitamin D0%
Vitamin B65%Cobalamin0%
Magnesium3%
Calories 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.3 g0%
Saturated fat 0 g0%
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 7 mg0%
Potassium 210 mg6%
Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g

And here’s Nori:

Calories 4
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g0%
Saturated fat 0 g0%
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 5 mg0%
Potassium 36 mg1%
Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g0%
Dietary fiber 0 g0%
Sugar 0 g
Protein 0.6 g1%
Vitamin C6%Calcium0%
Iron1%Vitamin D0%
Vitamin B60%Cobalamin0%
Magnesium0%

Nutramar Foods

c.poindexter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I used to do was fold my Nori a couple of times and then I used to use a rubber band. Even that would still get pulled off from my tang. I started giving them smaller amounts more frequent.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely the im is good but if he already has a strong magnet clip i just wanted to give a good budget option
I don’t. Well, I do. Sort of. I rigged a diy magnet clip by gluing a regular clip to a cheap magnetic glass cleaner. Total price was like $13. ‘Round my parts a proper mag clip starts at $30.

mindme

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried all these things, use to cut up the nori etc. Screw all that, let me tell you how to really do it and it not be a pain in the butt.

Materials needed:

1 6" PVC pipe about 3/4" in diameter.
Some reuseable zipties - you can get some on Amazon really cheap and have like 100 of them, they are useful for so many things.
2 coated magnets at least 3/4" diameter.
super glue.
Optional but recommended: PVC Cap.

Step 1: Screw/Slide the PVC cap on the PVC pipe.

Step 2: Apply super glue on the non capped end of the PVC pipe, put it on top of one of the magnets standing up. Let it dry.

Step 3: Take a piece of nori, fold it in half. I use half a sheet, but you can use a full sheet. Wrap it around the pipe nice and tight, 2 or 3 rounds.

Step 4: Take your zipties(I use 2) and wrap them around the nori, tighten up as much as you can. Cut off the excess ziptie, but leave an inch or 2 extra so you can reuse it. Fish have no trouble with them sticking out.

Step 5: Put it inside your tank, and use the other magnet to hold it up. Use the outside magnet to move it around and put it in place. I like to put mine on my back wall because it has a tiny profile that way, only the 3/4" diameter, and I can also hide it completely behind rocks.

And that's it. Easy to take back out when you want using the magnet on the back, no need to put your hands on the tank. The nori is held tight against the pipe, so the tangs only get their bite and not a lot of extra. It's basically like when they eat algae off a rock. I have 4 tangs, they all feed off the same pipe and they all get plenty. 0 waste.

It only takes a minute or 2 to replace it. The only warning I have is to keep your magnets from touching. Sometimes it's ok, but sometimes I've had to reglue after due to tryign to seperate the magnets. It didn't take me long to get the hang of keeping them apart.

I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mindme

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best one out there. I have several large tangs and put 3 of these all over the tank and keeps them happy and zero waste.

I didn't like it because half the sheet is wasted under the blue part. Using the PVC pipe, there is only 2 little strips that are covered up, and I throw them back into the tank the next day as a treat. My Naso loves the strips so much he will almost eat them directly out of my hand, and any other time he is extremely scared. Just has to make sure he gets it and not one of the other tangs.

andy28115

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs love romaine lettuce more so than nori. The beauty of it is it doesn’t soften and float away or get torn when they go all Jaws on it. They have to take distinct individual bites of it to get some so there’s 0 waste.
Problem is romaine provides zero nutrients to your tang.

Avast

Blue Cheese

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound like a strange question, but my 3” purple tang wastes so much nori it’s ridiculous. The thing rips and tears at it like a shark, and more often than not the nori is torn free of the clip before it is done eating. Sometimes it chases it, sometimes it doesn’t but it always end up stuck to an overflow. So much so my urchin just kinda… lives there and eats nori. About the only way I’ve managed to get it to eat most of a piece is giving it 1/4 sheets at a time. Even then it often gets ripped free. Wouldn’t even really complain about it if it wasn’t awful for water quality and available either online with shipping or in stores 100+km away.

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem and has figured out a solution?
PVC pipe and hair roller,tied to my wier

Attachments

• F8B31BC9-6251-41F5-ABC2-750673D38D32.jpeg
    F8B31BC9-6251-41F5-ABC2-750673D38D32.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 37

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nutramar Foods

PatW

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut my nori into little squares a bit larger than a postage stamp (only takes a few cuts if you do it right). I get a stack of stamps and clamp the clip down on it. My tangs can pretty much only get bite sized pieces off. Virtually everything gets consumed. I use 2 clips to prevent a dominant fish from monopolizing the food source. Oddly enough with 2 clips, they generally don’t even try to keep other fish away.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have big tangs an I actually use these.

I used to fold one sheet up. Long ways like 3 times and then 2 times the other one. When they got bigger they would rip the whole sheet out. Now I use 2 sheets which makes a tighter grip on the algae. No issues.

Andresnyc93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using these for years, game changers

ying yang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get one sheet of my algae sheets and curl ends over few times so it's 5-6 layers so clip grabs it better so stays in place then get scissors and cut lots thin strips starting at bottom ,running up to clip so if a fish rips one piece off ,the most they rip off at a time is one strip which I only have about 1/2 inch hanging out from clip,and fish generally slurp that up in one go,I get odd bit flying around tank and eventually geys snagged on a rock or a coral then cuc grab that soon enough anyway so don't really get any waste,then when fish have has as much as they want or an hour, whichever comes first,then I use my coral feeder to push the clip down so touching sandbed and hermits and nassarious snails rise from the sand and finish off the rest

Corals.com

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do what @ying yang said....and I show how I do it HERE. They suck down the little strips like it's spaghetti without ripping out the remaining nori.

1657579975452.png

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back