Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I was wondering if it was a bad idea to get a couple bumblebee shrimp with my urchins. I know in the wild they have a commensal relationship with one another, and in my tank I have 2 4+ inch urchins and a 3+ inch urchin. Was wondering if it's a bad call to add a pair of bumblebee shrimp to the mix.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I was wondering if it was a bad idea to get a couple bumblebee shrimp with my urchins. I know in the wild they have a commensal relationship with one another, and in my tank I have 2 4+ inch urchins and a 3+ inch urchin. Was wondering if it's a bad call to add a pair of bumblebee shrimp to the mix.
Hopefully someone with hands-on experience will comment for you, but all I can say is that it might be a bad idea or it might be fine. Personally, for the reasons discussed below, I would guess it would be fine, but I'd probably test it by adding an urchin to a test tank with the shrimp before adding them to the display.

I haven't really looked in depth on these guys before, but - researching them a little now - it seems it's unconfirmed to science if these guys actually prey on echinoderms or not (the few pics/videos I can find of them "preying" on starfish show them crawling along on the feet of the stars, but no damage seems to actually be done so I can't even confirm using hobbyist info if they actually prey on echinoderms or not). However, based on their mandibles, it seems somewhat unlikely that they do. Rather, it's suspected that they feed on mucus produced by the echinoderms or on particular organic matter trapped in the mucus instead of the echinoderm itself. There is speculation that these guys only feed on the tube feet of echinoderms (much like how Harlequin Shrimp are rumored to only eat the tube feet and not the whole starfish), but I suspect that - like with Harlequin Shrimp - that is untrue. From what I've seen/read, I'd guess that they more likely are trying to eat something else (such as mucus) by the tube feet rather than the tube feet themselves (though it wouldn't surprise me if they occasionally got a tube foot or two in the process).

Harlequin Shrimp (who, notably, have different mandibular structure) eat the entire starfish (though they generally, to my understanding, start with the tube feet - likely to prevent the star from escaping, but possibly for taste), and - unless someone has evidence to the contrary - I'm starting to suspect that Bumblebee Shrimp may not eat echinoderms at all. They do, however, seem to be pretty aggressive in getting at the tube feet of sea stars, and they do exhibit a feeding behavior (though again, I can't see any signs of damage being done by the feeding).
I think harlequin shrimp only have problems with their own kind, unless they're a pair. I have two Bumblebee Shrimps in a 24 gallon tank which I believe are the same sex. The larger one will chase the smaller one now and then but it never gets worrisome. I'm guessing because of their size you could house a good number in a tank. Completely unproven opinion though. I'm not sure Bumblebee Shrimps will eat the bodies of asterina starfish. They seem to viciously attack the tube feet of such creatures and that's it. This I can confirm from adding an urchin out of curiosity once. Both species should be okay with other shrimp. Though keep in mind the bumblebee shrimps are tiny and could be picked on or hunted by substantial larger shrimps. They're my favorite shrimps to keep so far though.
(The link above has pics of a Bumbleebee Shrimp "attacking" a Sand Sifting Starfish - no noticeable damage is done despite the shrimp visibly holding/"eating" the tube feet; it's possible that damage is done that's just not shown in the pics, but I can't say for sure.)

Also, from what I've read, only Bumblebee Shrimp (Gnathophyllum americanum) from Florida are reported to live commensally with urchins (specifically Lytechinus variegatus, the Variegated Urchin; these are sometimes called the Green Urchin, but that name is more commonly used for Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis, which is a coldwater species). I don't know if they will live in the spines of any urchin, or if it has to be that specific species (and I don't know how strong of a commensal relationship it is between the shrimp and the urchin in either case). Regardless, because of the speculation that Bumblebee Shrimp feed on echinoderm tube feet, there is speculation that they live with these to occasionally feed on their feet, but there is no confirmation of this idea that I can find.

So, again, personally, I'd probably give it a test run by feeding the shrimp in a separate tank, then adding an urchin to the tank to see how they do with it. Don't be surprised if they charge the urchin to get at its feet - what you really want to watch for is if they do any damage to the feet/urchin (such as if they actually eat the feet, or if they just grasp them and release them after messing around with them). If there doesn't seem to be any damage done after like a week, I'd guess you're in the clear to add them safely to the DT.

If you try it, let me know how it goes.

*Mandible info:

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone with hands-on experience will comment for you, but all I can say is that it might be a bad idea or it might be fine. Personally, for the reasons discussed below, I would guess it would be fine, but I'd probably test it by adding an urchin to a test tank with the shrimp before adding them to the display.

I haven't really looked in depth on these guys before, but - researching them a little now - it seems it's unconfirmed to science if these guys actually prey on echinoderms or not (the few pics/videos I can find of them "preying" on starfish show them crawling along on the feet of the stars, but no damage seems to actually be done so I can't even confirm using hobbyist info if they actually prey on echinoderms or not). However, based on their mandibles, it seems somewhat unlikely that they do. Rather, it's suspected that they feed on mucus produced by the echinoderms or on particular organic matter trapped in the mucus instead of the echinoderm itself. There is speculation that these guys only feed on the tube feet of echinoderms (much like how Harlequin Shrimp are rumored to only eat the tube feet and not the whole starfish), but I suspect that - like with Harlequin Shrimp - that is untrue. From what I've seen/read, I'd guess that they more likely are trying to eat something else (such as mucus) by the tube feet rather than the tube feet themselves (though it wouldn't surprise me if they occasionally got a tube foot or two in the process).

Harlequin Shrimp (who, notably, have different mandibular structure) eat the entire starfish (though they generally, to my understanding, start with the tube feet - likely to prevent the star from escaping, but possibly for taste), and - unless someone has evidence to the contrary - I'm starting to suspect that Bumblebee Shrimp may not eat echinoderms at all. They do, however, seem to be pretty aggressive in getting at the tube feet of sea stars, and they do exhibit a feeding behavior (though again, I can't see any signs of damage being done by the feeding).

(The link above has pics of a Bumbleebee Shrimp "attacking" a Sand Sifting Starfish - no noticeable damage is done despite the shrimp visibly holding/"eating" the tube feet; it's possible that damage is done that's just not shown in the pics, but I can't say for sure.)

Also, from what I've read, only Bumblebee Shrimp (Gnathophyllum americanum) from Florida are reported to live commensally with urchins (specifically Lytechinus variegatus, the Variegated Urchin; these are sometimes called the Green Urchin, but that name is more commonly used for Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis, which is a coldwater species). I don't know if they will live in the spines of any urchin, or if it has to be that specific species (and I don't know how strong of a commensal relationship it is between the shrimp and the urchin in either case). Regardless, because of the speculation that Bumblebee Shrimp feed on echinoderm tube feet, there is speculation that they live with these to occasionally feed on their feet, but there is no confirmation of this idea that I can find.

So, again, personally, I'd probably give it a test run by feeding the shrimp in a separate tank, then adding an urchin to the tank to see how they do with it. Don't be surprised if they charge the urchin to get at its feet - what you really want to watch for is if they do any damage to the feet/urchin (such as if they actually eat the feet, or if they just grasp them and release them after messing around with them). If there doesn't seem to be any damage done after like a week, I'd guess you're in the clear to add them safely to the DT.

If you try it, let me know how it goes.

*Mandible info:
Interestingggggg! One of my urchins is a variegated urchin, and the bumblebees available to me are Gnathophyllum americanum. This has my interest cautiously piqued. Thanks for response!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bumble bee's, but never an urchin... bumble bee's are very fast, they skoot around just like little bee's, so its hard for me to think the bumble bee's couldn't stay away from the urchin.

But what is mentioned above is something else, never occurred to me that the shrimp would be the aggressors, lol

EDIT: if you do get them, you really have to get more than one, they are really cool

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bumble bee's, but never an urchin... bumble bee's are very fast, they skoot around just like little bee's, so its hard for me to think the bumble bee's couldn't stay away from the urchin.

But what is mentioned above is something else, never occurred to me that the shrimp would be the aggressors, lol

EDIT: if you do get them, you really have to get more than one, they are really cool
Yeah they're one of those species that are ubiquitous in the wild but the scientific community still seems unsure on what exactly they eat and how they subsist day to day. Like @ISpeakForTheSeas said, there is a variety that lives on top of Variegated urchins mainly in the wild and have been seen pecking at their tube feet, but the urchins seem to stay healthy, and they don't seem to consume the tube. Very interesting stuff

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only evidence I can find of one acting somewhat aggressive to a star, especially around 2:30. She claims they can deal with asterina but I don't see any mention if they actually ate the star in the video or if that's a regular diet for them.

FWIW harlequin shrimp supposedly could go for urchins too, and i always had urchins with mine. Pencil, fire, tuxedo, and rock urchins never have been touched by my hawaiian or Indonesian harlequins. Bumble Bees are less picky than them by comparison so I'd imagine the incentive to go for the urchin over the other food sources in the tank would be very low.

I'm also not entirely sure how true the 'eat the whole star' part is for harlequins. IME they just tear into the star until it either dies and melts or there's nothing left, starfish close up the slits in their legs so harlequins have to tear and work for it anyways. There was a phase I tried freezing starfish to feed my harlequins, and I'd give them a leg every few days (I didn't have the heart for rotation at that time). Feeding response was same as always, but they grew waaaay slower like they weren't getting the nutrients they needed. Considering how tube feet work I think they were destroyed by the freezing process or alternatively the starfish being dead so they melted immediately. The shrimp definitely grew way less and lived shorter than the pairs I gave live stars, if the tubes weren't that important I don't see why this method wouldn't have worked.

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also not entirely sure how true the 'eat the whole star' part is for harlequins. IME they just tear into the star until it either dies and melts or there's nothing left, starfish close up the slits in their legs so harlequins have to tear and work for it anyways. There was a phase I tried freezing starfish to feed my harlequins, and I'd give them a leg every few days (I didn't have the heart for rotation at that time). Feeding response was same as always, but they grew waaaay slower like they weren't getting the nutrients they needed. Considering how tube feet work I think they were destroyed by the freezing process or alternatively the starfish being dead so they melted immediately. The shrimp definitely grew way less and lived shorter than the pairs I gave live stars, if the tubes weren't that important I don't see why this method wouldn't have worked.
Don't know how I missed this earlier, but another thread reminded me of this one, so here I am now. There's a good chance that the freezing destroyed some of the nutrition, but the harlequin shrimp do eat the full star (both quotes are from the link at the bottom):

"On each feeding occasion, the live diets were chopped, weighed and given at a rate of two 3 cm-long pieces of equivalent weight per pair. For pairs that were fed daily, a new ration was given once the previous day's diet had been consumed; the diet, however, was never left for more than two days."

"The harlequin shrimp's reaction to fast moving specimens of A. indicus passing approximately 10–12 cm in front of them was immediate with the shrimp pursuing the sand star. The subsequent sequence of events is detailed in Fig. 1 where the shrimp attempt to immobilise their prey by turning them over. Once this had been successfully achieved, the shrimp began to feed, consuming the entire carcass with time (Fig. 2)."

UniqueFins

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure with the urchins but just a note once you add a small amount of bumblebees they don't like to venture out into the open much so you will see them somewhat rarely (in my experience)

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure with the urchins but just a note once you add a small amount of bumblebees they don't like to venture out into the open much so you will see them somewhat rarely (in my experience)
This was exactly my experience. The 2 barely leave a rock lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tunze
Back