Keeping a small aquarium warm during a power outage

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last winter my house lost power twice within a few weeks, both times for about a day. I could easily keep my reef jars aerated during such an outage with a battery powered air pump, but how would I heat them? Should I splurge on a power station? Should I take two fish shipping heat packs and tape one to each jar, as one freshwater source suggested? Thank you

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last winter my house lost power twice within a few weeks, both times for about a day. I could easily keep my reef jars aerated during such an outage with a battery powered air pump, but how would I heat them? Should I splurge on a power station? Should I take two fish shipping heat packs and tape one to each jar, as one freshwater source suggested? Thank you
How small is this tank/jar?
How long was the power outage?
How warm is your home where the tank is?

A small heater can be okay depending on the apc. Heaters in general suck the juice right out of apc backups. But if the home is warm you may not need any heating. 70's to high 60's may be okay depending on what your keeping.

Well, I guess I had more questions than you did.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small is this tank/jar?
How long was the power outage?
How warm is your home where the tank is?

A small heater can be okay depending on the apc. Heaters in general suck the juice right out of apc backups. But if the home is warm you may not need any heating. 70's to high 60's may be okay depending on what your keeping.

Well, I guess I had more questions than you did.
The outages both lasted around a day. During the second outage room and water temperatures dropped to 59 Fahrenheit...surprisingly I did not lose any of my tropical freshwater fish during either outage. One jar is 2 gallons, the other 1 gallon...they both use 25 watt heaters.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back