Kalkwasser falling short of calcium goal

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser), and my daily pH cycle ranges from 8.0 to above 8.3, but my calcium drops from 450 down to 320 in about 6 weeks. I'm also dosing sodium carbonate for alk.

Should I stop dosing for alk?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser), and my daily pH cycle ranges from 8.0 to above 8.3, but my calcium drops from 450 down to 320 in about 6 weeks. I'm also dosing sodium carbonate for alk.

Should I stop dosing for alk?

Are you dosing calcium to balance out the Alk dosing?

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it sounds to me like you’re only solving for a portion of your Alk and Calcium consumption with the Kalkwasser, so you’re doing additional dosing for the Alk (which is fine) but you’re not picking up the slack on the calcium with an additional product.

Essentially you are dosing your full requirement for Alk but only half of your requirement for calcium.

Either add in a calcium supplement alongside your alk or get rid of the bicarbonate and just increase your Kalkwasser

OP
OP
AKReefing

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody. That's what I was thinking. I've been making up the difference with CaCl, which I've decided is also the source of the increase in lithium levels.

andrek787

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should try supplementing your unmet demand with a small amount of Tropic Marin's Carbo-Calcium. It is calcium formate, calcium + simple organic acid that get broken down to calcium and bi-carbonate ions by bacteria in your tank. It is also balanced calcium/alkalinity like kalkwasser. It is pretty inexpensive when you buy the powder and mix it with RO yourself.

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back