Juvenile yellow banded possum wrasse not looking too good please help!

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best little friend is looking really really bad. She was swimming near the surface and sitting sideways on top of the cord of my filter and when I touched her with something she quickly got up and swam away to another spot to do the same thing and not moving, I have put her in my makeshift QT and she is doing the same thing.
BC989F8D-116E-4B80-B9A2-39D237E86F1C.jpeg
What in the world is going on? In another thread of mine I said I got home from a six day holiday and said she really wasn’t doing well and I wasn’t sure if she was going to survive but the next morning she was A OK and now the same thing tonight. Any advice appreciated but it is past midnight and if I need to get any medication or anything it will need to be tomorrow.
PH 8.3
Alkalinity 11DKH
Salinity 1.024
I don’t test anything else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My best little friend is looking really really bad. She was swimming near the surface and sitting sideways on top of the cord of my filter and when I touched her with something she quickly got up and swam away to another spot to do the same thing and not moving, I have put her in my makeshift QT and she is doing the same thing.View attachment 3044472 What in the world is going on? In another thread of mine I said I got home from a six day holiday and said she really wasn’t doing well and I wasn’t sure if she was going to survive but the next morning she was A OK and now the same thing tonight. Any advice appreciated but it is past midnight and if I need to get any medication or anything it will need to be tomorrow.
PH 8.3
Alkalinity 11DKH
Salinity 1.024
I don’t test anything else.
Would be interesting to know what the ammonia and nitrate level is in the display tank she came from as they are a little more sensitive to these levels and a spike may have occured. Adding an airstone may help the fish but it appears to be moribund.
How is the breathing rate and is it eating at all?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interesting to know what the ammonia and nitrate level is in the display tank she came from as they are a little more sensitive to these levels and a spike may have occured. Adding an airstone may help the fish but it appears to be moribund.
How is the breathing rate and is it eating at all?
She was hiding during feeding time today but got a few bites, yesterday as the same problem was going on she had her usual appetite and was eating just fine. There is an airstone already in the QT but she is currently sitting at the bottom having trouble staying upright but is still trying. I was worried she was moribund but now I am almost certain :frowning-face:. Ammonia is still coming back as 0 but I really don't like Salifert amonia tests as they are too hard to tell what it is at.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasse do definitely earn their namesake of possum. They can be hard to diagnose given their penchant for nearly playing dead when stressed or uncomfortable (and they are stressed a lot in reefs at least at first as they spend most of their lives living in caves with barely any sunlight). How long have you had the fish and how sudden is the change?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasse do definitely earn their namesake of possum. They can be hard to diagnose given their penchant for nearly playing dead when stressed or uncomfortable (and they are stressed a lot in reefs at least at first as they spend most of their lives living in caves with barely any sunlight). How long have you had the fish and how sudden is the change?
Had her a month and 24 days, I don't know how sudden the change is as I haven't been here for six days.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good sign. If flukes there would be sure signs such as clamped fins, loss of appetite, yawning, scratching, etc
Scratching? Like laying in tight spaces? I believe there has been some yawning but I can't be sure. Is there anything that only flares up at night in particular?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Scratching? Like laying in tight spaces? I believe there has been some yawning but I can't be sure. Is there anything that only flares up at night in particular?
At night, generally more relaxed

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night, generally more relaxed
As in flukes are generally more relaxed? Or YBPW are generally more relaxed? I just remembered that one time when she was laying on the cord when she woke up she got the zoomies and quickly dashed across the top of the water if that contributes to anything.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As in flukes are generally more relaxed? Or YBPW are generally more relaxed? I just remembered that one time when she was laying on the cord when she woke up she got the zoomies and quickly dashed across the top of the water if that contributes to anything.
Possibility of flukes in which treatment would then be Praziquantel which is praziPro

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibility of flukes in which treatment would then be Praziquantel which is praziPro
Ok I think I can get that, I am going to bed now but I will let you know how she is doing in the morning and if she is still alive I'll get some praziquantel and try that if you think flukes are the most likely option?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
From other people’s experience it really does seem like flukes
Thread 'Possum Wrasse not doing well'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/possum-wrasse-not-doing-well.629317/
However in this thread the little guy didn’t make the night.
Thread 'Possum wrasse acting strange'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/possum-wrasse-acting-strange.841678/
Im pretty sure. As a measure to buy time, you can generally give the fish a 5 min freshwater dip to dislodge any flukes that would be present but with heavy breathing becomes a risk

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure. As a measure to buy time, you can generally give the fish a 5 min freshwater dip to dislodge any flukes that would be present but with heavy breathing becomes a risk
Up again today doing her normal stuff, swimming around, trying to find some pods and more. This really is a mystery to me and I have no idea what is going on.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Up again today doing her normal stuff, swimming around, trying to find some pods and more. This really is a mystery to me and I have no idea what is going on.
Thats great news and likely the transfer to different tank helped in which I would do a good water change in display tank.
Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, pods, tdo pellets and LRS nano frenzy are perfect foods for this wrasse

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great news and likely the transfer to different tank helped in which I would do a good water change in display tank.
Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, pods, tdo pellets and LRS nano frenzy are perfect foods for this wrasse
I am ecstatic, I’m not 100% sure if it was the transfer because the same thing happened last night but I just left her because I was pretty sure she wasn’t going to make it and she was fine the next day. She hasn't taken pellets and I have tried about 4 different kinds. loves some frozen mysis shrimp, I don't think there are any pods in the QT which worries me a bit but I think she will be fine. I should get some live bbs or buy a hatchery soon not only to feed her but also my new mandarin but the mandarin has been good at just picking at the pods.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back