+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t lie that white tang is beautiful lol . Like a piece of Picasso
I admit its gorgeous, but worth the price of a new/used car?!

BRS
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up with a dad who taught me how sales work. I've never been able to unsee it.

We have had several retail stores close down. Onsale prices were still more expensive than online prices. A bread machine for 450 marked down to 340, onsale at another store for 325....

These online coral sales aren't much different. They make a price, if it sales. Awesome. They're banking on the live sales hype that is dying. Kind of. We still got people paying 200 for a normal frag of common (20 to 40) max that's been souped up in colors they don't possess.

Top Shelf Aquatics

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate, kinda… typically when you buy local there isn’t much recourse for death after you leave. Reputable online vendors have a doa policy, as well as a few to ten days replacement. With shipping, not just the cost but the delays and damage, the vendor takes a hit every now and then that they have to build into pricing. Insurance doesn’t really work with livestock, so it’s not like the vendor gets anything when there’s a loss. There’s also slow growers that a local pruning their tank doesn’t care about, but a vendor dedicating real estate to needs to account for. Plus if people continue to pay up, the pricing won’t go down. Some online vendors do have decently priced beginner packs to get you started if you’re on a budget. That said, I totally agree, it’s totally nuts! There are great pieces out there that are phenomenal but aren’t the hyped up craze of the day that are reasonable.

edit. I forgot about all the vendor sales on here! You are so right! It’s daily. It reminds me of the old going out of business sales tactic. Stores would have a twenty year old, faded, tattered, going out of business sale banner out front. That’s a heck of a long time to fold up shop.

Fort Salty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices have gone up around town since I started, and that was in the fall last year! I can't imagine having to buy online. I don't think I could have afforded to stock my tank based on the couple of websites I have seen.

FS

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all about growing and trading with your locals or selling at reduced price.

Keep the hobby enjoyable!
Getting more involved with local facebook reef groups (as much as I avoid FB). Some price well, some price a bit on the stupid side. You learn quick who moves frags that are priced right and follow them.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate, kinda… typically when you buy local there isn’t much recourse for death after you leave. Reputable online vendors have a doa policy, as well as a few to ten days replacement. With shipping, not just the cost but the delays and damage, the vendor takes a hit every now and then that they have to build into pricing. Insurance doesn’t really work with livestock, so it’s not like the vendor gets anything when there’s a loss. There’s also slow growers that a local pruning their tank doesn’t care about, but a vendor dedicating real estate to needs to account for. Plus if people continue to pay up, the pricing won’t go down. Some online vendors so have decently priced beginner packs to get you started if you’re on a budget. That said, I totally agree, it’s totally nuts! There are great pieces out there that are phenomenal but aren’t the hyped up craze of the day that are reasonable.
Which means we should learn to evaluate corals before we buy. I think buying online has robbed people of that

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? I wouldn't pay a wooden nickel for green stars. Who would?
Again, there is a sucka born every minute. Just market it as some resilient gsp and it WILL sell.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, there is a sucka born every minute. Just market it as some resilient gsp and it WILL sell.
Nuclear, atomic, fireball, universal studios, marvel, dc, Star Wars, techno, gsp…..today only, one millllliiiiooon dollars

i_SPS

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another irritating aspect is price per frag size seems to have dramatically changed. I’ve been in the hobby 15 years, and a “frag” used to be at MINIMUM 1”. Most had a branch or a few branch tips.
Now I see 1/2” nubs for 100$ etc.

I highly encourage local trading/selling/swapping. Though now I’m starting to see people do the same thing as the store, they charge almost retail for used equipment etc.

sadly I have some circumstances where I’m having to get out of the hobby, but honestly the shift in this scene since I’ve started is highly discouraging enough.

Hankcorals

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into the hobby I spent so much time doing the live sales and watching for holiday sales. After you look at the same corals so often you realize the so called live sale prices are not much lower then normal everyday prices unless its a $5 frag.. I agree with you all as well the frags seem to be getting smaller while prices rise. I enjoy the sales on FB more now. You actually get to see the coral you are buying in real time without the macro shots and goofy filters. Lots of these folks sell the corals live while showing you the corals in their frag beds. Its the best wysiwyg experience short of visiting a LFS that I have found imo

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000%

My go-to vendor has had hugely discounted sales lately but jacked up the normal price so that the sale price is way more than before. Bought a crocea from them in 2022 on live sale for $60. Croceas up right now are $300 and look like mine did, so at 30% off, still >$200. I have a credit for a replacement torch from them that will ship with my next order, but so far I haven't seen any sales that are good value.

All my recent acquisitions have been locally. Utter chaos for $10. Traded a cleaner shrimp that needed rehoming for a nice toadstool. Mystique monti cap and a goldenrod anacropora for $10 each. I actually find this more enjoyable than spending an entire day refreshing live sales to pay 5x those prices.

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rare Amazeballs Valonia-Encrusted Branching GSP, yours for the taking, $350+shipping.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rare Amazeballs Valonia-Encrusted Branching GSP, yours for the taking, $350+shipping.
I'll horse trade that with some magic trinkets and the island of Manhattan. Deal?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
150!!!!! My LFS has them for $10-20, and it’s all their worth too.
Same with a known vendor selling xenia frags for $45 and dragon eye zoa (3 head)for $55 - Why ????

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll horse trade that with some magic trinkets and the island of Manhattan. Deal?
Bad deal. Haven't you heard Manhattan is sinking? I'll give you some rare ultra Pandoras (1 polyp) for the magic beans, though.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back