+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im sorry to rant but its getting disgusting with coral prices. I went on three sites today with live sales and my favorite site (will not disclose) . . . . I had to close the pages at page 3-4 on each site as the prices are beyond insane and very unwelcoming to new hobbyists who many want that certain starter coral(s) and may be able to get one or two at these prices and add $30-40 for shipping on top of it..
I have been buying local and from private parties and am glad I made that switch.
Some, I paid $10-$20 a year or a little more ago and are now $55-$75 especially for two head zoa or other bread and butter coral.
And this PERCENTAGE off of sale price is a load of garbage as One in particular was $75 and 20% off last week (making it $60.00) and today its $65.00 and 10% making it $59.50 - Still $60
Just sad.. . .. . .
ANYWAY, HOPING EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT WEEKEND AND ENJOYING THEIR TANKS

Last edited:
BRS

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.
Point Agree GIF by Ford

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe the online stores. I bought pixie dust Zoas online. They were “on sale” for $55. They grew like crazy so I fragged some just to be told that they are worthless by my LFS. Nothing against the LFS. They sell “rare” Zoas but never exceed $20. I just feel sorry for people who don’t have a good LFS who have to buy online. Online stores must be making a killing off them unfortunately.

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very lucky to have a person who ran a reef store selling out of her garage. Way more coral than any LFS in my area. I am filling my reef with a lot of old school stuff that is hard to find today. I just can't get the latest and greatest flaming rainbow arrow head this that and the other

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go out of my way and buy from within Florida from dealers with reduced Florida shipping. Then I refuse to buy stuff like Bill Murrys while they are ripping people off.

Simply put, I'll pass on the purple and green one for $100 but I'll take the purple and green one for $20.

Most often I go to two outstanding LFS in Jacksonville. Bio-reef and Coral Logic.

Last edited:

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair rant.

People are paying those prices so that sets the mark in this super popular hobby. I pay those prices because I have no choice if I “gotta have that piece”.

When people’s purchases start to decline, the price will proportionally, but likely nothing close to say a decade ago.

There’s a ton of margin in these sales, but if it’s selling through fast, it will increase again. That’s Capitalism…..

Exporters overseas have figured out theirs gold in that western culture, they want there share as well.

Inflation feeds inflation, but there are limits.

AquaCave Logo Banner

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. One west coast site that used to be really good I have had nothing but problems with the past few months and the prices seem to get worse by the week. Everything is always listed as "on sale" and they manipulate prices when they have their constant 10-20% off and 30% off and live sales it seems like every other week. Not to mention the frags get smaller and smaller and poorer quality. They do still have a lot of deals but usually for stuff next to no one wants. They have some nice Goni up this weekend but anything worth buying is listed at $150-350 (on sale of course) for little frags. Whoever does their photography takes very good macro shots to make everything look bigger. Like a lot of places, they list some things very high to see if anyone will bite and then eventually go down some. If people keep paying those prices it will never end. LOL one other place I occasionally buy from is trying to hawk little rocks of green star polyps for $150. I'm just done with them </rant off>

Avast

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait are there people here who wouldn’t put 30k on a fish that looks injured?!???!!!View attachment 3161151
A sucka born every minute. I dont known how that particular vendor makes cash for anything with the stratospheric prices.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. One west coast site that used to be really good I have had nothing but problems with the past few months and the prices seem to get worse by the week. Everything is always listed as "on sale" and they manipulate prices when they have their constant 10-20% off and 30% off and live sales it seems like every other week. Not to mention the frags get smaller and smaller and poorer quality. They do still have a lot of deals but usually for stuff next to no one wants. They have some nice Goni up this weekend but anything worth buying is listed at $150-350 (on sale of course) for little frags. Whoever does their photography takes very good macro shots to make everything look bigger. Like a lot of places, they list some things very high to see if anyone will bite and then eventually go down some. If people keep paying those prices it will never end. LOL one other place I occasionally buy from is trying to hawk little rocks of green star polyps for $150. I'm just done with them </rant off>
These live sales are becoming more popular. I agree they raise the price then say it's on sale.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I know who it is... Noticed their prices go wonkey since the beginning of the year.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back