Just ordered first reef tank - looking for recommendations for other hardware

780blaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all!

As you've read, I ordered my first reef tank last week, custom build from LFS. It's going to be 54" x 18" x 18". I wanted a "shallower" look and also couldn't have it stick too far out from the wall. Size should work well (I'm told). Sump will be 36" long, 12" wide, 15" tall. Right now I'm just looking to pick up the rest of the pieces to get it cycling soon after it's delivered. Not on any specific budget although I'm not a fan of spending money unnecessarily. I plan on keeping fish and soft corals, then maybe a few LPS down the road. For fish, the only "for sures" are a couple clowns, and my LFS has this wicked cool Tomini tang that should be happy in this size tank. (I'd love a yellow but probably not a big enough tank).

Anyways - my current plan is as follows. Just looking to have someone more experienced give it a once over and let me know if I'm on the right track or if there's anything I should be reconsidering:

Flow: 1x Aqua Illumination Orbit 2 (Possibly adding a Nero on the opposite side once I'm able to check the flow the Orbit puts out)
Lighting: 2x Aqua Illumination 32 HD
Return Pump: (1" return line) Aqua Illumination Axis 90
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5
Heaters: 2x Eheim Jager 150W w/ Inkbird External Temp Controller
ATO: ??? Maybe find something second hand?

Anything else I should be considering at this time?

Thank you!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI System if you don’t have one. Mixing reservoirs (buckets or new trash bins are commonly used). Freshwater reservoir for ATO (anything that holds water works- or your sump might have a compartment for it). You’re probably getting more light than you need on a shallow 36” tank. You could probably get by with the AI26’s

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back