Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TatorTaco I will have to dig around the notes of my thread but here’s one post # 704 on this page.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
P

Pakman2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a Reefer 250 and I have so many questions (if you don't mind):

1. How did you end up shimming your tank to get it level? Any suggestions?
2. Do you have any more information on how you plan to automate the water change station? I’m trying to figure out if I should prioritize a water change station or getting the tank wet first.
3. Do you have a parts list for the plumbing pieces you use to switch from Red Sea to standard PVC? I created a post just a few days ago here trying to figure this out: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefer-250-v3-plumbing-help-needed.850247/#post-9254552
4. Did you purchase the return adapters from VCA? I’ve seen a couple post now where the return line is split in two. What are your thoughts on it?
1) I purchased composite shims from the local Home Depot. Lowe’s and Menards also carries. Even the local hardware will carry them. I used a level that spanned across the entire length of the tank. I placed shims under each of the feet or stationary legs that are on the bottom of the stand. I’ve attached a picture.
8E9D0EE2-665F-4362-BB3D-DD8EB4370909.jpeg
3B81D0C2-5DC6-4C76-84F2-34CA6CBD9831.jpeg
E72DDDC7-2132-47F7-B18D-C366BE69E431.jpeg

It might be much easier to shim your stand without the tank on top of the stand. Much less weight and easier to adjust or lift the stand to shim. You will want to make sure you are level on the width, length and corner to corner. Took me about an hour but it’s spot on. Once I put the tank onto the stand I checked the level across all areas and again after I filled the tank to see if I needed to make any adjustments.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
P

Pakman2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2. Do you have any more information on how you plan to automate the water change station? I’m trying to figure out if I should prioritize a water change station or getting the tank wet first.
3. Do you have a parts list for the plumbing pieces you use to switch from Red Sea to standard PVC? I created a post just a few days ago here trying to figure this out: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefer-250-v3-plumbing-help-needed.850247/#post-9254552
4. Did you purchase the return adapters from VCA? I’ve seen a couple post now where the return line is split in two. What are your thoughts on it?
2) My personal opinion, I would think about where you are going to store the water change station and run the RODI tubing to your tank. Consider exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Once you have that all planned out and installed, focus on getting the tank wet. I installed 3 lines through my wall into the basement. One for waster water, one for auto top off water, and one for water change. I came to screeching halt when the dosing pump that can handle the water changes has been discontinued. I personally was wanting to purchase the GHL maxi doser and am awaiting for the release of the Maxi Doser 2.0.

OP
OP
P

Pakman2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3) I purchased the parts online that covert the metric to standard underneath the overflow. I’ve attached the picture of the part which has the part number on the package.
F5F7A43A-7775-4328-914E-072CD329EB23.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Pakman2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4) I purchased the return line from VCA. The only issue I had was that the line would not stay on once I turned the return pump on. It would come off almost immediately. Even when I ramped up the return pump from the lowest setting. I tried Teflon tape in hopes that it would cause it to stay but that failed immediately also. So I used clear primer and clear pvc glue and made it a permanent attachment. Otherwise I have no issues or complaints. It gives you the option to manually adjust the direction of both heads.
B4C82E81-D728-42C2-90BF-EE10AB33B456.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
P

Pakman2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pakman2 congratulations on your fish acquisitions ! How is your Klir performing? Did you ever see Coralvue's hour long video on the Klir? There's a technique to securing the fleece to the spindle. Just glue it on with reef safe superglue.
So far I have no complaints about the Klir unit or it’s operation. My main issues were the sock holder itself due to the 3.5” opening versus the 4” that it was designed for. It required modifications on my end to the sock holder. I haven’t had to change the roll yet so I’ll let you know when that time comes.

mcc21

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family uses the RedSea LEDs in our family reefer 525, and honestly I like them. I think they are great for bringing out the colors in our LPS, and we’ve gotten ridiculous amounts of growth. Our SPS are growing too, but some of the more muted colors have been more difficult to bring out in some of our stubborn acros like the Walt Disney.
Here’s a shot of our tank so you can see the colors.
View attachment 2206377
This was taken using my iPhone 8+ and a filter off Amazon. :)
beautiful!

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back