NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to starting slowest 65g tank build.
Besides waiting on the tank (that I have some nerves about drilling) and debating the stand build, it seems we have everything. Some Caribsea seeded rock that needs a build, some of their live Fiji pink sand, more turbo start.

Currently only a 10g QT with two little storms clowns! Just the copper power, and now Prazipro. And constant reminder we could have stopped here. Cycled with Fritz turbo 900. Already hating all the wires attached to it.
IMG_3794.jpeg

The QT started as a way for me not to rush building out the equipment list while making the kid happy. Their number one fish was a black storm, which we thought we found at the shoddiest LFS near us. As soon as we stepped out, she was clearly a mocha.

This fish name was declared to be “Tribute” because my kid was instantly ready to sacrifice it if we found a black storm in the future (please help me lol).
IMG_4246.jpeg

We have most everything BUT the tank. Was going to be a betta fish, then a 30ish gallon petco tank, then a 44 tank that fit our spot perfect.. Until I realized ordering a Seapora 65 was an option in similar footprint 36x18x24 — it’s literally been waiting on the LFS to fulfill a pallet for over a month now, so maybe we’ll just get the Marineland version.

This delay allowed me to fall into the following items I convinced myself I needed during a Memorial Day sale. Shout out to premium aquatics on new costumer discounts to top the sales and quick shipping.
IMG_4236.jpeg

Got the hydros on a BRS blowout as an introduction controller. Was tempted to get a MP10 for no wires, but settled for a nero3 and still felt like a splurge. The Hanna salinity checker because I hated reading the refractometer. Went big on the AP9x hoping it will last (was unsure if I should do that or the two 360s). The pump feels overkill but I guess we’ll see, went with the sdc 7.
IMG_4113.jpeg

The reefmat was high on my list, was going to do a 500 but the 250 fit without trimming the sump (and still looks huge). This sump also feels huge, but felt like a better use of space being a cube.
IMG_4123.jpeg

Totally underestimated how long heaters could be, I have two 150w eheim ones, they’re touching the sump too much and angled. I’m thinking I should look for something else but hate to second purchase.

I didn’t look into skimmers yet, I know everyone uses them kinda hope to not need it., Definitely want to run some chaeto next to the reefmat. Was also thinking about a mini carbon reactor to keep the scent down being in a bedroom. Feels like the rest we can figure out down the line?
IMG_3721.jpeg

My spare bathroom has been taken over, I am hoping to shove that bucket in the closet once I figure out transferring water to and from without taking out too many shelves. And maybe only putting another can in the shower when I need to mix? My family hasn’t noticed this setup, but I’m sure they won’t be happy lol. RO+di buddy is also on standby. May cycle the rock in here while we wait on the tank.
IMG_4118.jpeg

The sump is a blemished trigger aquamarine triton 20cube, around 24g, and a 10g trigger crystal ATO. They look great, and for the price of the sump it saved me some diy headaches. I love the idea of less maintenance, but I’m wondering if I should cut it back to a 5g reservoir for more space in the stand.
IMG_4162.jpeg

The original stand I bought is metal frame, but mdf panels 36x18x34. The bottom is 30” long so it will fit the ATO & sump but with modification. Basically I would have to cut out the panel for the cabnit and extend the back 3” to sit the sump. With this there is no cleaning sides of the sump.

Next option is to just build my own stand, which wouldn’t give a ton more space (limited room space) but a few inches and definitely vertical space. I built the long blue L bench running next to it, but that didn’t have to be perfectly fitted or hold over 600lbs. So a little torn.

— Also debating a QT for coral, maybe a AIO - but QT kinda sucks. I like random impulse buys, not planning sitting and waiting + all the extra tanks… Also really want to take advantage of the NYC Reefapalooza coming up in two weeks but also do not want to kill everything. Bad idea?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Self documenting rant of a orgin story**

It’s been about 7 weeks since I told my kid why get a betta fish, salt can’t be that much more.. Just mixing saltwater, and a bigger tank, right?

Little did I know I was encouraged myself into a month+ long, all consuming, crash course through equipment, parameters, health, coral and god knows what else. Then trying to understand how these all run in harmony with or without one another.

Not to mention I scoffed at my LFS when he suggested downsizing to a “expensive” (or so I thought) AIO. When he mentioned how much I’d spend on a light (although this shop was the most expensive in the area so my confidence in him wasn’t instant), I thought for sure he was a car salesman. So me being in denial about those comments, and the threads saying how expensive this hobby is, was written off to just being luxurious or over exaggerating.

Flash forward and let’s just say we could have taken a nice, well needed vacation or two instead (and still got my kid the betta). The real kicker is how deep into the rabbit hole I hyperfixated to. Just reading how to do everything right (fully knowing everyone is different on their setups), that I basically splurged it all - once and done (there’s that denial again). Because of this I was blinded to the fact our two little clowns are perfectly happy in the 10g petco tank running as a QT for $100…

Key note*
For anyone considering starting this hobby — DO NOT add it all up. Make little purchases and live in oblivion. Just assume your family is expensive and you had one too many Chick-fil-A trips. Or be sensible and check out Facebook marketplace. Kudos to those with the mega tanks, I see you on that slippery slope.

Starting a spread sheet only to realize “I spent how much? And I don’t even have a pretty, filled & thriving tank to show for it?” That takes a smidge of enjoyment out of starting. Starting with a quarantine and being unable to be impulsive on fish buys, takes another chunk. Let’s give another slice to my kid saying, “wouldn’t literally any other pet store animal have been easier, maybe you should return it”. And that silver lining is dimmed by the paranoia that anything living can literally die at any point!

But we’re invested, long term visions & hoping it’s all worth it… eventually! I swear I’m not that salty - this start up phase is just testing my patience with lack of instant gratification. Why am I ranting you ask? Surely because literally anyone I see in person would never understand, or appreciate the efforts - so why not share it all here?

scooterh928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a couple months ago. Turned one of my 75 fresh into a saltwater fish only tank then since I couldn’t do a sump on that one bought a 40 gal and a used sump from a lfs for my new project that I’m currently working on. Of course I’m not a patient person I don’t like having to save to get a piece of equipment. Rather just buy it and deal with it and get by.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a couple months ago. Turned one of my 75 fresh into a saltwater fish only tank then since I couldn’t do a sump on that one bought a 40 gal and a used sump from a lfs for my new project that I’m currently working on. Of course I’m not a patient person I don’t like having to save to get a piece of equipment. Rather just buy it and deal with it and get by.
The patience is definitely a learned skill. Saving for something is one thing, but waiting to do things properly, planning QT (if that’s your thing), time to get corals going etc. It’s a lot - but maybe that’s what keeps this hobby interesting, it’s not a one and done so to say.

scooterh928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. So many options and different ways of doing things. Makes things more interesting

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the last month, I received our custom 1600 modular marine overflow. This thing just feels heavy duty.

IMG_5967.jpeg

The tank we practically waited 2 months for, did not come. Instead I caved and went with the Marineland since the owner insisted it was not only the same but better quality and would be there in a week. I got it - instantly regretted it. Not only did its rim look cheap, but it didn’t line up right, and all the corners of the glass weren’t even 90 degrees.

So I went ahead and ordered the 65g seapora elsewhere. Drove 1.5 hours to pick it up within a week (what I should have done). And it just feels better for the same price, 100% recommend (without testing).

IMG_6440.jpeg

Then today I finally bit the bullet and drilled the tank. This was honestly probly what I dragged my feet the most on. I litterally have started this project before May. Have all the equipment sitting in a box for over a month.

IMG_6710.jpeg

I first attempted a picture frame glass and it cracked as soon as I clamped it. Then I bought a $10 petco tank, without a proper template I scraped it up - but it didn’t crack (80% confidence boost).

So for the main tank, the template was acrylic, I taped a lot with painters tape then scotch packing tape over that to make sure there was no wiggle. And the same with the back.

IMG_6715.jpeg

The amount of tape I put on in layers kept the glass from dropping - but also had basically 0 chip out going slow. The return I lost my patience and went full speed through it all, it did oyster the very end, but no more than you constantly see on here. Over all, I’m basically thrilled.

Up next is plumbing, and I’m still debating redoing my stand for it - because the current one has 0 extra space. I know it should be dry fit in place & have a test run with water, but I kinda hate to do that then drag it all upstairs after.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back