Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have have a 55 gallon that I just set up with 30 pounds of ocean live rock and just a hob filter for now and I’m wondering is adding a cardinal fish,yellow watchmen goby, fire goby, royal Grammy, and a springers damsel to many fish to add at once? I have to buy all these fish together because I have to pay almost 100 for shipping and I don’t want to make two different orders.

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot, but I wouldn't say it can't be done. If the rock is well established and you have filtration in place (even if not turned on until they arrive), it will probably work out, though I'd keep an eye on the nitrogen cycle parameters and keep some extra water on hand for a change in case that initial growth that is needed to support the new bioload starts a secondary cycle of sorts.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fully cycled already
There is no such thing...

Each time you add (or remove) bio-load the tank's nitrifying bacteria need to catch up.

That is one of a dozen reason not to go dump 15 fish into a new tank.

Will it be "ok" maybe... but why push fate. One or two fish at a time. Observe, enjoy, relax.... Wait a few weeks/months and add more.

Let your system mature as you build it out.

Nobody wants to see the "EMERGENCY - my 20 new fish in my 4 week old tank are breathing hard and may have ich and flukes and velvet and ...."

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have have a 55 gallon that I just set up with 30 pounds of ocean live rock and just a hob filter for now and I’m wondering is adding a cardinal fish,yellow watchmen goby, fire goby, royal Grammy, and a springers damsel to many fish to add at once? I have to buy all these fish together because I have to pay almost 100 for shipping and I don’t want to make two different orders.
That should be fine with the ocean live rock. Likely, the amount of nitrifying bacteria on the rocks already is more than enough for the bioload from your fish list if properly handled during shipment and adding to your tank.

The main concern I have is adding fish from a shipment directly to the final tank. Quarantine is best to avoid introducing diseases that are hard to remove from your tank.
I personally start fish in a separate quarantine tank just for observation unless I see something concerning. Almost every online order I've received has had some form of concern or disease, mostly on more susceptible fish.

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding one or two small fish to the order be pushing it?
Maybe, maybe not. It definitely increases risks, but might work out. You have to decide how much it is worth to save on the shipping cost versus potentially introducing diseases that end up killing all of the fish.

Each time you add (or remove) bio-load the tank's nitrifying bacteria need to catch up.

Will it be "ok" maybe... but why push fate. One or two fish at a time. Observe, enjoy, relax.... Wait a few weeks/months and add more.

Let your system mature as you build it out.
I agree for sure, though 30lbs of ocean live rock (if properly handled) should easily have enough dormant bacteria to handle the bioload from the fish list in a 55g tank, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is so eager to dump the whole ocean into their new tanks... odd in a hobby where tank lifespans are measured in decades ;)
Yep, I am a firm supporter in having patience. I do understand the difficulty in considering shipping costs, but taking time and understanding what is being done is important.

Upvote 0

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Each time you add bio-load the tank's nitrifying bacteria need to catch up.

Would adding one or two small fish to the order be pushing it?
@BeanAnimal is right, although the live rock gives you a head start. I would not add any more than what is on your original list. I know shipping costs suck, but patience is important. The light feeding is very important. Ammonia is introduced via food. Limiting it at first allows the bacteria to grow to a slower rise. @Lasse suggested this method in one of his articles. "Light" means like 4 or 5 brine shrimp per day per fish. Don't count them but don't feed them much at all. They'll survive just fine for a week or two. They'll also find stuff to pick at on the live rock.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I am a firm supporter in having patience. I do understand the difficulty in considering shipping costs, but taking time and understanding what is being done is important.
Nothing like saving $17 in shipping to lose $700 in fish and hard work.

With each passing day, I am more onboard with services provided by folks like @Dr. Reef

To be sure - In 20 years I never quarantined ANYTHING. My mind has changed, maybe due to the number of case I see posted daily.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference...
My reef is ~20 years old.

I have 2 fish and some 10-20 year LPS and softies. No SPS left.

I recently decided that I want to have 10-15 and get back heavily into SPS (and some LPS). I started the system rehab 6-8 weeks ago. No new fish yet (Dr. Reef is getting me 2 fish ready). No new corals yet and just added new cleanup crew.

When fish come.. sometime in next 30-90 days, that will be it until summer. I may add some frags and a full torch or pearl colony. Things take time and I am not in the mood to flush money or time down the drain for instant "wow its so pretty". So maybe this time next year I will be up to 6-10 fish.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You dont want to do this at all especially with the basic setup utilizing mechanical filtration only. Even with an established reef ready unit, when fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Overloading tank with too many fish at one time will exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why its best to stock fish slowly so that the bacterial levels can adapt to the new loads

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like saving $17 in shipping to lose $700 in fish and hard work.

With each passing day, I am more onboard with services provided by folks like @Dr. Reef

To be sure - In 20 years I never quarantined ANYTHING. My mind has changed, maybe due to the number of case I see posted daily.
Yes, saving on shipping is not always a good deal. There are much greater risks, which is why I keep several QT's available for observation when I place an online order.

I'm not a fan of prophylactic-medicated QT, but observational QT has helped in numerous cases for shipped orders. I can't answer to whether or not disease is a greater risk today or not; it seems there are too many variables to consider, such as the high rate of tanks started today with dry rock and bottled bacteria.

Dr. Reef's quarantined fish are a great option and one I have considered.

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, saving on shipping is not always a good deal. There are much greater risks, which is why I keep several QT's available for observation when I place an online order.

I'm not a fan of prophylactic-medicated QT, but observational QT has helped in numerous cases for shipped orders. I can't answer to whether or not disease is a greater risk today or not; it seems there are too many variables to consider, such as the high rate of tanks started today with dry rock and bottled bacteria.

Dr. Reef's quarantined fish are a great option and one I have considered.

fellow Dr. Reef customer here also recommending Dr. Reef

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back