Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question: What do you have your flow control pipe setting at currently?

vNdWLw9l.jpg
Currently on Max but not much difference at the lowest setting ie I see no movement of the BBP.

Nutramar Foods

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max is actually minimum. 1 is the highest level. There should be a large difference in the water height inside the skimmer from max to 1.

That's where I was headed. But if the OP is stating turning it has no effect...I wonder if the o-ring is not installed?

@Zoaeasy: Just for giggles, pull up on the adjustment tube until the portion that fits inside at the bottom of the skimmer body comes out. Make sure there is a small rubber o-ring gasket in a groove on the end of the tube.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a relatively cheap "Your Choice Aquatics" skimmer, it's a seaside aquatics off-brand skimmer, with a DC pump. Dirt cheap, respectively. Amazing.

I was a firm believer in DC skimmers after owning this thing for a few days. It's insanely efficient, and immediately outperformed my Vertex. This is the first few days running the new skimmer. I can make light colored tea to mud with this thing.

IMG_20170411_231509340.jpg

And yes -- The foam WILL get dense enough to lift off the lid. It's done it more than once.

Last edited:

mstockmaster

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bm curve a5 (curve 5 with dc pump) I hate it. It's either not skimming or overflowing. Almost zero in between. I'm looking for replacements and will not be selling it because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with it.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the bm curve a5 (curve 5 with dc pump) I hate it. It's either not skimming or overflowing. Almost zero in between. I'm looking for replacements and will not be selling it because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with it.
Agreed I will be taking the pump apart this weekend and see if its the issue but also looking for other options. There is already one other option mentioned in this thread. I would appreciate some input re a good reasonably priced skimmer for 60 G.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Followed the advice above. Took it out and completely apart. Soaked in vinegar and scrubbed the pump out. Reinstalled it in my sump and went back a few hours later to a half cup of beautiful skimate. (that's how desperate I have become) .
All my problems solved ....... not .
The point of sale is now no longer skimming the next day with the BBS about 4 " below the neck and I know for a fact that I have a lot of organic material in my system.
Grrr I give up on this skimmer.
Ps Santa please drop of a decent skimmer , I've tried to be a good boy , well apart from that time and that one and oh that one as well.

Avast
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back