Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chromis died in QT, curious if this looks like uronema or just a wound. After it showed up, he started hiding, then breathing fast, then he couldn't stay upright and was on the bottom of the tank on his side. Had one bath of Formalin, but after the spot showed up.
I am primarily concerned about what to do with the blenny that was in QT with him, whether he needs some more treatment or is good to go into the DT.

2020_0304_190125_004.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This chromis died in QT, curious if this looks like uronema or just a wound. After it showed up, he started hiding, then breathing fast, then he couldn't stay upright and was on the bottom of the tank on his side. Had one bath of Formalin, but after the spot showed up.
I am primarily concerned about what to do with the blenny that was in QT with him, whether he needs some more treatment or is good to go into the DT.

View attachment 3021834
It appears as a wound opposed to uronema. The lesion from uronema is often elongated and oval in appearance and often eats tissue from inside outwards showing positive tissue damage

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Uronema, the rapid breathing would coincide with that. Uronema looks a lot like a wound, positive ID requires a microscope, but two strikes are: open wound and rapid breathing. Did it die with its mouth open? If so, then that is a third strike and I would say 100% it is Uronema.

Don't worry about your blenny, I've never seen Uronema on that species and internal Uronema isn't really contagious.

jay

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be Uronema, the rapid breathing would coincide with that. Uronema looks a lot like a wound, positive ID requires a microscope, but two strikes are: open wound and rapid breathing. Did it die with its mouth open? If so, then that is a third strike and I would say 100% it is Uronema.

Don't worry about your blenny, I've never seen Uronema on that species and internal Uronema isn't really contagious.

jay
Yes, his mouth was open. I am done with chromis now, I just want to make sure the blenny is safe. They went through tank transfer, but when the chromis developed the spot they got the Formalin bath, Metroplex mixed in with the food, and I did a Prazi dose also. The blenny looks fine and doesn't have any abnormal symptoms.
Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, his mouth was open. I am done with chromis now, I just want to make sure the blenny is safe. They went through tank transfer, but when the chromis developed the spot they got the Formalin bath, Metroplex mixed in with the food, and I did a Prazi dose also. The blenny looks fine and doesn't have any abnormal symptoms.
Thanks!

I'm done with chromis also, as well as orange anthias and yellow coris wrasse - unless they come from Australia or East Africa.

Formalin is often touted as a cure for Uronema, and it is - for the external version seen in seahorses. That got over-extrapolated by people to use on internal Uronema, but of course, the formalin can't get inside the fish to treat it. Metronidazole in the food at 0.5% by weight should work, but in reality, it doesn't either. I found that chloroquine really knocks Uronema out, but again, only externally.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back