Is this Ich - purple tang?

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Wondering if this is ich (pretty sure it is). Already had ich and flukes once, killed most of fish, and most of the coral I removed from the DT for hypo died as well. Quarantined everything since.. just saw one of my lyretail anthias scratching on the rocks, so I think that about confirms it. Time to retire the hobby.

Stock:
Sailfin
Yellow
Purple
Line spot wrasse
3 helfrich
2 lyretail anthias
1 blue damsal

Info: I only have a 20 gallon quarantine tank. I have no way of catching the fish except the tangs if I got lucky. I'm not removing the corals for hypo again because that turned out to be a disaster. Any help would be great. Thanks.

IMG_8700.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey guys. Wondering if this is ich (pretty sure it is). Already had ich and flukes once, killed most of fish, and most of the coral I removed from the DT for hypo died as well. Quarantined everything since.. just saw one of my lyretail anthias scratching on the rocks, so I think that about confirms it. Time to retire the hobby.

IMG_8700.png
Yes , appears to be and something they are prone to. Isolate fish into a separate treatment tank and treat with coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes , appears to be and something they are prone to. Isolate fish into a separate treatment tank and treat with coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Thanks. I've got one already - I've been through the process following the guide on this forum. I don't see a point in trying to catch a couple tangs for quarantine if I can't catch all of the fish. Even if I could catch all of the fish I have nowhere to put them. All additions were fully quarantined for ich as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stock:
Sailfin
Yellow
Purple
Line spot wrasse
3 helfrich
2 lyretail anthias
1 blue damsal

Info: I only have a 20 gallon quarantine tank. I have no way of catching the fish except the tangs if I got lucky. I'm not removing the corals for hypo again because that turned out to be a disaster. Any help would be great. Thanks.

IMG_8700.png

It does look like ich, the spots are a bit large for ich, but the spots on the fins tend to confirm that it is. You can watch the spots - if they come and go and change location every few days, it is ich.

Because of your situation, you might consider "ich management":

OP
OP
B

BSej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ich, the spots are a bit large for ich, but the spots on the fins tend to confirm that it is. You can watch the spots - if they come and go and change location every few days, it is ich.

Because of your situation, you might consider "ich management":

Thanks. I am going to try some of these methods and see how it goes. If enough (unfortunately) die that I can fit the rest in my quarantine tank, I will try for eradication once more.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i 2nd Ich management. Adding a UV sterilizer should be a bit help. Feed as much nori and other foods as you can and continue to monitor. Some fish will shake it off, some might not make it. I have it in both of my 200g tanks and always worry when adding a new fish but 90% make it as long as they are not stressed.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back