Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this is growing on my live rock, and wondering if I should keep or remove? Thanks!
73246BD1-DE6E-490E-A460-025EFDE095E4.jpeg
4C83174D-CAFA-4AFD-82B3-4AADEC556139.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not sure what this is growing on my live rock, and wondering if I should keep or remove? Thanks!View attachment 3151905View attachment 3151906
No. Looks like algae growth from a nuisance algae called derbesia and is one that must be removed in whole or will cause issues. This time of the year with added UV and longer room light, it appears.
Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Looks like algae growth from a nuisance algae called derbesia and is one that must be removed in whole or will cause issues. This time of the year with added UV and longer room light, it appears.
Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae
Thanks for the ID. Quick google speech for derbesia seems to only show green hair algae. So this is the same family? Do I NEED to remove it? Kinda like the way it looks, but don’t want to cause issues in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the ID. Quick google speech for derbesia seems to only show green hair algae. So this is the same family? Do I NEED to remove it? Kinda like the way it looks, but don’t want to cause issues in the tank.
same grouping. If youre ok with the appearance- its not harmful

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same grouping. If youre ok with the appearance- its not harmful
I might keep it for now, as it’s only in the few spots from the photos. If it starts to grow more I’ll take some out.

You mentioned removing the rock to pluck when the time comes. Is that so it won’t spread in the tank? Or is it just easier to remove out of the DT?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I might keep it for now, as it’s only in the few spots from the photos. If it starts to grow more I’ll take some out.

You mentioned removing the rock to pluck when the time comes. Is that so it won’t spread in the tank? Or is it just easier to remove out of the DT?
both- easier to eliminate and get to areas otherwise not accessible in the tank and to prevent regrowth and clogging your intakes

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back