Is this a normal amount of foam for first startup of a skimmer in a new tank?

James Koss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is our first time starting a reef tank, so we’re learning as we go. This forum has been very helpful with the learning curve so far.

To start off, we have a 75gallon tank from Redsea. We’ve got caribsea liferock and caribsea livesand in the tank.

The only things added so far are RO water, and salt.

We finished filling the tank last night, and turned on the skimmer and pump. This crazy foaming started happening immediately. I spent a long time adjusting the skimmer in every combination of ways I could, but how it looks in the attached picture is the best I’ve been able to manage, yet it still overflows a lot.

If anyone has any thoughts on what’s going on that would be helpful. Or is this normal behaviour for the first while?

Additionally, I read on one site that using marine epoxy on the rock can sometimes cause excess foaming. We used some in 3 places to hold the liferock together, but we let it dry before we even added any water. Could that be the cause of this? And if so, will this subside soon?

Also, if I need to give any more info about the tank or anything let me know and i’d be happy to supply it!

Thanks in advance!

119219DC-AC84-45A3-8051-D35C579C370D.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

3mm3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Did you give the skimmer a vinegar bath prior to the install? Sometimes new skimmers have a residue that causes issues at first.
I would run the skimmer on lowest setting if its a DC pump.
Also open up the flow through the skimmer to max.
The foaming will settle down but I do have to say that's a lot

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that can be typical with a new skimmer and system. Not sure of the specifics of your skimmer, but on my reef octopus, I'd open the water inlet valve wide open so as to let the water level in the skimmer go way down. How you would do this on your skimmer, I'm not sure, but the goal is to lower the level of water and air inside the skimmer.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

James Koss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick responses!

3mm3, we didn’t do a vinegar bath, didn’t know that was something to do! I’ll be sure to do that if we ever get another skimmer in the future.

Otherwise, the pump is on the lowest setting now, and the flow is open full!

Hopefully the foam settles down soon.

Xnavydiver Good to know, never really knew what the goal was for a well functioning skimmer. We’ve got the water level as low as I can seem to get it, so we’ll see how it goes!

clover128

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some web searches on running protein skimmers specifically whatever model you have. You want the foam just barely come out of the top in a dry state. It certainly shouldn’t be flowing over as much as you have it.

clover128

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some web searches on running protein skimmers specifically whatever model you have. You want the foam just barely come out of the top in a dry state. It certainly shouldn’t be flowing over as much as you have it.

Also I think Mr. saltwater tank has a good YouTube video on tuning a protein skimmer.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jason mack

Monti madness
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might need too sit a little higher in the water .. this will also help with reducing the foam .. if you have egg crate or something too put unde your skimmer !

OP
OP
J

James Koss

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, thanks for the response, unfortunately we couldn’t find any good videos of people tuning our protein skimmer model on a new tank. But i’ll Look up the Mr. Saltwater video!

Jason, thanks for the response, just went and did that, raised it up about an inch higher than it was. We’ll see if it makes any big difference.

Thanks for the help everyone!

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3mm3, we didn’t do a vinegar bath, didn’t know that was something to do! I’ll be sure to do that if we ever get another skimmer in the future.

Xnavydiver Good to know, never really knew what the goal was for a well functioning skimmer. We’ve got the water level as low as I can seem to get it, so we’ll see how it goes!
Just keep in mind that right now, you're just trying to reduce the volcano of foam from overflowing your skimmer. As time goes by, your skimmer will start to settle down and you will have to adjust it in the opposite direction to keep water and air just below the neck to keep it skimming efficiently. In a couple of weeks or so, you'll be an expert with your skimmer and know exactly where it needs to be for a dry or wet skim, just by looking at it.

CLICK TO VIEW

Instigate

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vinegar bath on all new equipment(new or used) is a good idea imo.

Rglad91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E331629C-2F5F-489F-ABE4-C474899F6626.jpeg
That’s funny it looks like what mine did when I set it up. Give it a good week before trying to adjust anything. I ran mine with power all the way down and the air valve closed with the water level down.

CLICK TO VIEW

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same sand/rock combo. Mine did that also. I have a feef octopus HOB skimmer. I hooked a large hose up to the skimmer and let it overflow into a bucket. Lots of foam!!!! Be patient. It will stop.

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so was there ever any outcome to this? I just started up a brand new system with new everything. Caribsea Liferock and Special Grade Reef Sand Aragonite. Same thing!! Tons of thick white foam like a foam party!! Can’t even run my skimmer at the lowest setting. Was wondering how you fixed this situation.

C19ACA42-8857-46A4-8DFB-6F2D4AE6668E.jpeg

Rglad91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so was there ever any outcome to this? I just started up a brand new system with new everything. Caribsea Liferock and Special Grade Reef Sand Aragonite. Same thing!! Tons of thick white foam like a foam party!! Can’t even run my skimmer at the lowest setting. Was wondering how you fixed this situation.

View attachment 710462
Oh Man I forgot all about that. And yah it was frustrating at first but patience is key here as I’ve learned. It’ll work it’s self out. If I had to do it all over knowing what I now know and what happen I’d just stay away from it for a couple weeks and let it do it’s thing. Just run the skimmer with no collection cup to get it dirty then once it settles start to try and fine tune it. Don’t lose any sleep over it.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

traxxonwaxx99

210 Mixed Reef
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out the culprit. Spoke to a rep from Caribsea. Before I finished giving him the whole story he said I was getting foam right? Apparently it’s perfectly normal. He bonding agent used to bind the bacteria to the rock will cause heavy thick foam when aerated in the sump. He said they need to disclose this on the box but perfectly normal. Keep the skimmer off for initial 2 weeks of running system and the foam will clear itself. Glad it wasn’t mystery chemicals!!!

Rglad91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out the culprit. Spoke to a rep from Caribsea. Before I finished giving him the whole story he said I was getting foam right? Apparently it’s perfectly normal. He bonding agent used to bind the bacteria to the rock will cause heavy thick foam when aerated in the sump. He said they need to disclose this on the box but perfectly normal. Keep the skimmer off for initial 2 weeks of running system and the foam will clear itself. Glad it wasn’t mystery chemicals!!!
Yah there’s not much out there on the web about this stuff, it had me freaking out for alittle while. I do wish they offered a flat shelf shape though. It’s been 7 months and I’m glad I went with liferock

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back